Cycling done?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foob

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I just started a 55gal tank with some nearly cured live rock (cured but one day shipping). It has been a week and I haven't detected any ammonia or nitrite in the water (cycling with 6 damsels :( ). Wondering whether it is possible there was some bacteria that was in the live rock that made cycling not needed. Or would 1 day shipping kill it all.

Also moved damsels to a quarantine tank and treating them for ich since I noticed a white spot on one of them. Just hyposalinity treatment is fine right?

Also dumped 3 raw shrimps into the tank after I moved the damels into the QT.

Most likely will let the shrimps lie in the tank and wait maybe 4-6 weeks to make sure any ich in the main tank are gone while cycling. And thinking of leaving the damsels in the QT to be hundred percent sure they are clean.

Am I doing anything wrong? What else should I do?

sounds smart to leave the fish out for several weeks if there is ick present. I have had tanks cycle quickly, so if you used the LR and perhaps some of the "starter" bacteria, I think it's possible.

Jim

A week with 6 damsels and no detectable ammonia then yes your cycled. The shrimp will just boost your bactera populations even more.

Hypo is a nice treatment. Make sure you get a good refractometer to make sure the correct treatment salinity is met and maintained. Swing arm hydrometers are inaccurate.
Also I would lean towards the six weeks to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom