Cycling - PWC Needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeyPB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've been snooping around on these forums for about a month now and have learned a great deal from them, so thanks to everyone for that.

I started fishless cycling my 29 gallon tank on 5/28. Things have gone smooth and I saw almost immediate progress with the cycling. My levels are as stated below:

Temp - 84F
Ammonia - 0ppm
No2 - 5.0ppm
No3 - 10 ppm

There has been no change since 6/5. My ammonia is dropping faster than I can keep up with it. I've been adding pure ammonia to bring the level up to 2-4 ppm every evening, and ammonia drops to 0ppm within 12 hours, I'd say.

I don't think my cycle has stalled. I'm thinking I'm in need of a PWC to bring the levels down in order to get a more accurate reading. Does this sound good? Or should I leave it alone for a couple more days and see if there is a change?

Don't do a PWC. You are well on your way to a very successful cycling since the ammonia is getting taken care of every night. Once you don't have a trace of nitrIte then you should be done with your cycle and can do a PWC before introducing fish.

Remember to still introduce the fish only a couple at a time.

Good job!

Don't do a PWC. You are well on your way to a very successful cycling since the ammonia is getting taken care of every night. Once you don't have a trace of nitrIte then you should be done with your cycle and can do a PWC before introducing fish.

Remember to still introduce the fish only a couple at a time.

Good job!

+1 I agree in all points. Pretty soon the nitrites will also drop and then youre' good to go. :)

i did two PWC when i was cycling some lace rock, i had to my nitrites were at an unreadable level and my nitrates were at 180ppm and was stalled for 2 weeks so i did it and 3 days later the cycle was finished

but its agreeable don't PWC untill you can't see any movement anymore like me

Thanks guys! I'm going heed your advice and leave it alone until I see the trites drop. (y)(y)

Here's a little update on my cycle:

Yesterday 6/15
Ammo 0 ppm
Nitrites 5.0 ppm
Nitrates 80 ppm

After 10 days of the same results, my nitrates spiked overnight.

Today 6/16
Ammo 1 ppm (accidentally dosed ammonia to about 8 ppm the evening before)
Nitrites somewhere between 2 and 5 ppm.
Nitrates 160 ppm

Things seem to be moving along nicely now. I expect my trites to go down within a few days followed by a large wc (around 90%). I plan on getting my first pair of fish this weekend and placing them in a QT.

You might want to lower that tempt a bit, preferably below 82 and ideally around 78 so you have some buffer room. Do water changes like you said if it seems the ammonia keeps reaching 0 rapidly, and after that add a hardy fish assuming you are certain that the nitrifying bacteria have taken hold (which it seems like they have, just be sure to get those trites around 0 and trates under 20)

I bumped my temp down to 80 the other evening once I noticed a couple hitchhiker snails in the tank. They seem to be doing fine.

What effect would the wc have on the quick ammonia drops? Isn't that a good sign of a strong bio-filter? I was thinking I'd do around a %50 wc if my trites didn't reach 0 within a few days. It was suggested to do one once trites and trates were off the charts in the fishless cycling guide I read on here.

At this time I don't think it would hurt to do a PWC because the Ammonia is getting consumed after only one day.

Well I do believe I am fully cycled. Just got home and did all the tests.

Ammo 0
Trites 0
Trates 160

Thanks all! Time to get my QT going!

Back
Top Bottom