Cycling saltwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cool, so does coral count as the cured live rock? If so and it has been out of the water for 2 weeks what are the implications of that?

Well, that is a good question. I haven't seen it yet so I'm not sure. The ad simply says coral. This would be my first SW tank if I decide to get it so I'm kind of starting at zero again. Would have a lot of new reading to do. :)

Absolutely do your reading. :) The cycle in SW is a bit different then when I cycled my FW years ago. The directions I followed which seem to be working out fantastic are as follows:

Get a good amount of sand (2"-4"). If you use Live Sand (LS) it will speed things up but it cost some money. There are ways to seed the sand with a cup of LS but that is slow going. Also get a good amount of Live Rock (LR) (old coral skeleton but not coral). They recommend 1 lb per gallon I think but in my 45 I went with 20 lbs and then 10 lbs of base rock (same skeleton but nothing living in it). The base rock will eventually turn into live rock.

Get it up and running and wait. LOL Yes, wait. If you have good LR I could go on but.... here is a great article that will tell you all you need to know. If you cycle doesn't start there are a couple methods used to kick-start but try to let it start on its own if possible.

Cycle your salt tank

Sometimes you can buy what is called base rock, its really just dead coral that will become live when seeded with real live rock. I used it and it worked very well, its a nice cheap solution.

Back
Top Bottom