Decent price/setup for a 80 gal reef? advice requested.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

illuminum

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey everyone. I'm strolling over from the tropical side of the boards b/c I've been looking into getting a reef tank set up for the past year and I could really use some advice right about now. I've been searching the recycler for some decent equipment, but can't really seem to find the right combination of stuff. So, I went to one of my good LFS's and had them write up a quote for a new 80 gallon tank. This is the first quote I've had done and was wondering if you thought that this was reasonable set up and price. Here's the equipment that was on the list:

1 80 gallon tank (diamond cut glass)
1 Pine Stand
1 flip up hood (10" high"
2 fans (for air circulation in hood)
2 smaller pumps ( chose two small over one large for noise concerns)
1 20 gallon sump (w/ bubble traps etc...)
1 drilled overflow and 4 return lines
4 VHO lights
1 G2 protein skimmer
1 UV sterilizer (with easy clean feature)

enough live sand and live rock to fill the tank (~$700 total)
plumbing for everything

Total Price: ~$3,098.00

Does this sound about right? I chose not to got with MH lights b/c of the heat concerns and b/c I didn't want to pay for a chiller. I can live without stony corals and the cool shimmer (even though it looks so cool :) )

I chose glass b/c acrylic scratches way too easily.

Do I really need a UV sterilizer? Is it worth it?

This is the most crucial step for me so any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks a million.

It seems a bit on the expensive side to start out. That is without fish and corals. I would compare the prices of equipment from the LFS to on-line shops. I am betting you can save a bundle. Get the tank, stand at LFS. By on-line for the rest. You do not need a UV sterilizer, put the money toward a QT tank instead.

I agree with lando. I'm finishing up my 120 (all but fish), and have spent just under $2000. But I didnt get an Oceanic tank that looks like a piece of furniture either.

IMO $3,098 is a lot.I spent about -1200-1400 less than that including LR and an RO filter. I didnt cheap out on anything.

I think you can find a better deal than that

If they could break out the prices per item it would be a help. ANd no the UV is not needed. We have a good article on the benifits of UV if you want to look at it and make your own decision. I used to run UV on one tank and went to replace the bulb and foudn it to be broken. I never noticed when it stoped working so I stopped using it.

We came to the conclusion that a few well-placed magfloats are just as effective as these gadgets. :p

Check out our forum sponsors.. you're sure to get a good deal :wink:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom