diatom outbreak help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bloomk

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hae a diatom outbreak.. The tank is new so I a hearing this is normal and it will pass once they use up all the silicates... Question is, can I speed this up by adding more light? The faster they grow the faster it will go away? Or is there a drawback to this idea?

See if this works (trying to post pics from my iPhone app)

Here is a pic

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 183
More light will worsen the problem. Do more pwc of 20%, light cycle of 6-7 hrs...

Kio707 said:
More light will worsen the problem. Do more pwc of 20%, light cycle of 6-7 hrs...

That's another question... Why ginger than normal water changes?

And worsen it how? The theory is, when they use up the silicates then they die off.. Increasing growth will speed up this process and make them use it up faster.. In theory..

Bloomk said:
That's another question... Why ginger than normal water changes?

And worsen it how? The theory is, when they use up the silicates then they die off.. Increasing growth will speed up this process and make them use it up faster.. In theory..

I tried that idea when I started. It back fired... In theory, shoulda worked. As soon as I got trates down, they literally disappeared... I'm not a scientist, so really can't explain how, but it did. This is just my experience, others may tell u different. And I normally only do 10% pwc. If ur doing 20%, I'd say do 30%. it's a patients game...

Kio707 said:
I tried that idea when I started. It back fired... In theory, shoulda worked. As soon as I got trates down, they literally disappeared... I'm not a scientist, so really can't explain how, but it did. This is just my experience, others may tell u different. And I normally only do 10% pwc. If ur doing 20%, I'd say do 30%. it's a patients game...

Backfired how? Please... I am not an idiot and I do not want a "just take my word for it" type answers :).. I need facts please, reasons and the answer to "why"..

Ok you may not be an idiot but you are a bit demanding of people who are trying to help. LOL

I am no expert so I don't have reams of literature to back this up but......

Diatoms feed on silicates not nitrate. There is always some silicate in the water when you first start a tank. That is what causes the outbreak and until they use up the silicate it won't die off. Don't know if there is any way to speed this up but as with everything in this hobby, patients is the best policy. If you can wait for things to happen in a timely manner you most likely are setting yourself up to fail. Just my opinion.

sorry to be demanding, but from experience as well as from advise, i am cautious about information found in forums that is not backed up by facts and experience. People are quick to repeat information told to them by others when they don't fully understand why things are happening. And when youtake advice that way, it can be desasterous. I prefer to learn about the hobby and be tryuely informed not just take peoples word for it. I want to know "why"things happen and "why"someone is telling me something.. then i candecide if i should follow that advice or continue searching for my answer :) does that make sense? lol

I had a LOT of diatoms after 2 weeks of starting my 20gal nano. After making sure the water was safe (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate) i added 4 hermit crabs and 4 turbo snails, 2 days later the diatoms are all but gone. I did keep getting patches coming back, but no where near as bad as they were.
Now 4 weeks in and its really not a problem, i have a few small patches that appear at times, but soon vanish/feed the CuC ;)

Bloomk said:
Backfired how? Please... I am not an idiot and I do not want a "just take my word for it" type answers :).. I need facts please, reasons and the answer to "why"..

Adding more light will cause a algae bloom... Mine happened to be a huge GHA bloom... Took a month to get rid of. I was speaking from experience. Wouldn't suggest or regurgitate any false or unproven information. I can only speak of what I have done and experienced. It'll go away, I promise u that much, and a lil cuc would help. IME....

Back
Top Bottom