Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-26-2011, 12:57 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomk
My nitrates are only 10ppm
That's great... U may be heading for the home stretch and should start going away.

Old 10-26-2011, 04:04 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kio707

I tried that idea when I started. It back fired... In theory, shoulda worked. As soon as I got trates down, they literally disappeared... I'm not a scientist, so really can't explain how, but it did. This is just my experience, others may tell u different. And I normally only do 10% pwc. If ur doing 20%, I'd say do 30%. it's a patients game...
Backfired how? Please... I am not an idiot and I do not want a "just take my word for it" type answers .. I need facts please, reasons and the answer to "why"..

Old 10-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok you may not be an idiot but you are a bit demanding of people who are trying to help. LOL

I am no expert so I don't have reams of literature to back this up but......

Diatoms feed on silicates not nitrate. There is always some silicate in the water when you first start a tank. That is what causes the outbreak and until they use up the silicate it won't die off. Don't know if there is any way to speed this up but as with everything in this hobby, patients is the best policy. If you can wait for things to happen in a timely manner you most likely are setting yourself up to fail. Just my opinion.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:33 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

sorry to be demanding, but from experience as well as from advise, i am cautious about information found in forums that is not backed up by facts and experience. People are quick to repeat information told to them by others when they don't fully understand why things are happening. And when youtake advice that way, it can be desasterous. I prefer to learn about the hobby and be tryuely informed not just take peoples word for it. I want to know "why"things happen and "why"someone is telling me something.. then i candecide if i should follow that advice or continue searching for my answer does that make sense? lol
Old 10-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I had a LOT of diatoms after 2 weeks of starting my 20gal nano. After making sure the water was safe (0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 10 nitrate) i added 4 hermit crabs and 4 turbo snails, 2 days later the diatoms are all but gone. I did keep getting patches coming back, but no where near as bad as they were.
Now 4 weeks in and its really not a problem, i have a few small patches that appear at times, but soon vanish/feed the CuC
Old 10-26-2011, 05:11 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloomk

Backfired how? Please... I am not an idiot and I do not want a "just take my word for it" type answers .. I need facts please, reasons and the answer to "why"..
Adding more light will cause a algae bloom... Mine happened to be a huge GHA bloom... Took a month to get rid of. I was speaking from experience. Wouldn't suggest or regurgitate any false or unproven information. I can only speak of what I have done and experienced. It'll go away, I promise u that much, and a lil cuc would help. IME....

Tags
diatom, outbreak

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com