Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Diving into my fear of Saltwater

Hey everyone, so i got a decent deal off CL for a 24gal nanocube. Everything works good on it except the lights which i need to replace. It came with bio balls which from my understanding help breed useful bacteria to eliminate ammonia out of the water. It also came with live sand but the guy said he had it sitting in his garage for a month. I don't know if this sand is still considered safe/live anymore. Anyways, I have been keeping freshwater for some time now but have always been afraid of the SW. Well i want to begin with this biocube. I am planning on starting out with a FOWLR tank and see where that takes me in time. I honestly don't know where to begin. I guess i need to figure out if this sand is good or not so i can replace it. Then I should pick up the pre mixed saltwater for my tank. I know i need live rock to add but don't know how much or what kind for that matter. Once i have that it's cycling time. I am a slow cycler because i want to make sure water conditions are as "perfect" as they can be before adding any tankmates to it. PLEASE lend me your advice and experience as I do not want any fatalities but at the same time I would like to keep my wallet alive haha. Thanks everyone you rock!!

Old 02-22-2012, 02:06 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Name:   nano cube.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  8.4 KB

This is what the tank looks like pre build---by the way it was caked with green and red algae. That was fun cleaning it.....4 hours of scrubbing

Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Honestly better off starting with fresh sandbed. When you purchase some live rock the bacteria and critters will seed the new sand and will become live in no time. If you plan on doing corals in future best off doing reef save fish only tank so can add corals in future. With a 24 gallon you can probably only have 2 fish. Unless you have a hefty sump under tank to add water volume.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpfaff77 View Post
Honestly better off starting with fresh sandbed. When you purchase some live rock the bacteria and critters will seed the new sand and will become live in no time. If you plan on doing corals in future best off doing reef save fish only tank so can add corals in future. With a 24 gallon you can probably only have 2 fish. Unless you have a hefty sump under tank to add water volume.
Thank you! I do not have a sump for it. Its just the nano cube and stand. 2 fish would be alright as long as there can be some clean up crews added. ill get new sand thanks for the input i really appreciate it.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

So i won't be adding any livestock for at least a few weeks. But i'm doing a lot of research and i am choosing to go with a nano fish tank. These are what I'm leaning towards but please correct me if you notice something wrong. From my research these species will co-exhist nicely and not bother each other. Keeping in mind that I have a 24 gal to work with, how does this list look?

Clown Goby, Green
Firefish
Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred
Jawfish, Yellowhead
Orange Stripe Prawn Goby
Old 02-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I am taking the dive as well, in about a week of my fish less cycle.

I agree with starting with fresh sand. And you will need a good cuc anyway.

Then these articles should have almost everything you need...
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling
Stock list and tips for maintaining your SW tank.
We have a series of articles to help get you started
Old 02-22-2012, 03:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow great good luck!! Keep me posted with yours!!! Btw whats a cuc?
Old 02-22-2012, 03:41 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark_Bait View Post
Wow great good luck!! Keep me posted with yours!!! Btw whats a cuc?
Yea I plan to start a thread soon! Just been traveling soo much.

cuc = Lazy way of saying Clean Up Crew.
Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Gotcha, that's what i figured but there is alot of new SW lingo so idint know if it refered to something else. What kind of cleaners are you stocking?
Old 02-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

No clue actually. That's where my research has stopped

I plan to start looking into that and what fish to get over the next couple weeks. The emerald crab is one cool looking dude though. I have a 29gal so I think my options for fish will be a bit more extensive then yours, but should be fairly close. I'll let you know!

Oh and if you decide to do a deep sand bed (which has its pros and cons) you can get certain guys for your cuc.

Tags
salt, saltwater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com