Do I really need a sand bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gilraen

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55gal with 95Lbs of live rock curing in it so far. I was thinking on just adding one bag of aragonite sand just for the sake of the future sand creatures that I'll add. I know about the beneficial bacteria in the sand, but I also had bad experiences with algae growing on it. Anyway, is it reaaaaaally necesary to have a sand bed? Thanks.

I would say the benefits of having a sand-bad significantly outweigh the benefits of not having a sandbed.

If you have issues with algae growing on your sandbed... there are other issues with your tank that need to be investigated.

Don't let the past rule your future. I think it'd benefit you a lot to go with the sand bed, and learn how to maintain it the right way so you don't have algae issues again, and so your fish/inverts can enjoy a natural sand bed.

I love having a sand bed. You can see a lot of cool creatures in live sand, not to mention seeing a bunch of nassarius snails bubble out of the sand at feeding time is neat no matter how many times you see it.

I'm thinking 1/2" to 1" sand bed should be ok, right? That's the equivalent to about .25 Lb. per gallon, maybe a little more. Thanks!

I have a 1-3" sand bed (all depends on where my maroon desides she wants the sand that day). Apart from putting all back where *I* want it, I don't find the sand bed much of a hastle. There are LOTS of people who go with a bare bottom tank. There's nothing at all saying that you MUST have one. Of course that will affect your ability to keep some species of fish and inverts, but if that's really what you want give it a try. If you hate it you can always add the sand down the road and not adversely affect your tank. It is going to be far easier to add the sand later than to get it out of there if you decide you don't want it later on.

I personally don't care for the look of a bare bottom tank.

Go with a sand bed. My sand bed has bad algae problems, looks disgusting, and has decreased by an 1" in length (I'm in a recovery phase) but like schoeplein said, the pros outweigh the cons. Just make sure you don't get lazy and have a good clean up crew. Otherwise it will become a pain in the neck.

I really like the look of no sand bed, it makes the tank 1 billion times easier to clean (so I have heard, I do have a sand bed, but in the future I hope to get rid of it.

If you have a sump, put a big one down there, all the benefits.... NO hassle.

HTH,
Max

i believe you do need a sandbed for certain specimens. if you dont plan on keeping those specimens, then no sandebed is required.
sandbeds are great places for microfauna to thrive. removing that aspect of the environment will without doubt decrease the biodiversity in your system. i would stick wiht a sandbed of some kind.
maybe do a remote sandbed in a refugium or sump.

HTH

Back
Top Bottom