Do I still need additives for RO/DI water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishAddict413

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. I just started converting my fowlr to a reef tank and purchased an RO/DI portable for my water changes. I know, I waited too long and have been using tap water. I have always got expert advice here. When using RO/DI water, do I still need to use amquel? Also, I have read that tap water has useful minerals in it and this gets filtered out when RO water is used. Do I need to add any specific supplements for the mineral loss when using the RO water? Thanks.

You dont need to add a thing. Your PWC`s will add any supplements you need in your tank. In other words your 89 or more salts in your marine salt mix will have you covered.

I use instant ocean salt mix. I have heard that some reef salts are better than others (i.e. have better buffering capacity). I use this salt because I can get a 15lb bag for $12.99. Is it worth switching to a better salt and if so which do you think is the best?

Are you having any problems with your tank using the Instant Ocean?

That's really going to be the answer to your question. There is no one "perfect" salt out there - it's all what works best for each person's individual situation. Some folks swear at IO, some folks swear BY it! If you're finding that you're having to supplement your alkalinity too much, then maybe another salt with higher buffering capacity is better. But if you search around on the threads about the "best salt" (there are LOTs of those types of threads, both here and on other forums!) I'm pretty sure you can find horror stories from folks that claim Brand X Salt crashed their tank, for just about every brand of salt available.

Regarding your original question... I agree with Mike. No need to add anything to replace what the RO has taken out.

The only problem I have with IO is that my calcium sits at about 360. I have to keep adding calcium/buffer supplements until it hits 400.

Back
Top Bottom