Dont know how to get started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Musiclover8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've never had a saltwater tank before there are a few fish that I would like to get but don't know what size tank to buy. 1. Green and Red Mandarin 2. Blue Damsels 3. Auriga Butterflyfish. Would the fish be okay in a tank together? What size tank should I buy for them? :fish1:

Do alot of research, ask yourself basic questions...do you want corals and if so that should affect the kind of lights you get for your tank. Do you know what the steps are for setting up and cycling your tank? if not read up and try to get some info on how to do these processes. Consider also the additional equipment that the tank will need like a possible heater, skimmer, powerhead and ect ect. Theres alot of steps to consider and do before you can even come close to adding fish livestock. Also, whats your budget like this will also affect your options when choosing a tank. Ask and get answers to all the right questions before even considering fish... But since you have an idea on the type of fish you may possibly want i can say that mandarins take a very developed tank that tends to be a little on the large side just because they run out of food supply so easily. They usually only go for coepods and in many cases will starve from lack of food. The damsels dont seem to be a problem since its a relatively hardy fish. Finally, I wouldnt consider a butterfly unless you go for a larger tank although I have no experience with them. This is some basic advice I would offer and besides that it seems you have a lot more research to do just take your time have patience with the process and goodluck!

Lots of research! Make sure you have lots of copapods for the mandarins. You can train them to eat regular fish food, but it takes time and they mostly feed off copapods.

Oh! And I've heard that you should introduce damsel last as they can be aggressive. Always introduce aggressive fish last! A lot of people say that the general rule of thumb is an inch of fish per gallon, but I'd err on the side of caution. We have a 20 gal but only have 3 fish. 2 percula clown fish and a coral beauty which is a dwarf angel. Talk to people at you lfs! Both the employees and other customers, they can be a wealth of information! Also, don't be afraid to post questions here! There are so many friendly, knowledgable people here. And check to see if you have a local aquarium association! Hope this helps! I'm still relatively new too. : )

Back
Top Bottom