Dragonets

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonesy99

Aquarium Advice Activist
Could someone explain to me howcome mandarinfish are soo hard to look after. And also what is their minimum tank size?

I'd pit a mandarin in a 30 min, and they are hard to get to eat. Most only eat pods, wich you need to grow (takes a long time) or buy (very expensive).

You can get them on prepared foods, but it takes time and diligance

They need at least 30 gallons. Most only eat pods, and those need to breed in your tank, but then the mandatin will eat them all and starve. Some are hand fed an taught to eat frozen foods, but thats difficult. Very hard to take care of, even for very experienced people

I have 2 dragonets in my 29g tank and they both eat prepared foods. :) If you can't get them to eat frozen then you need a reliable and ample supply of pods for them to eat. It's not easy to get them trained to eat other food. It took me almost a month to get my scooter eating frozen and I bought an ORA mandarin that refused food that supposedly had been eating. It took a bit over a month to get the mandarin to eat frozen. They both like bloodworms the best followed by mysis.

These fish are really really awesome, but it takes alot of work to keep them happy and well fed. You also have to consider what else is in the tank with them, hungry clowns or more aggressive eaters will get all the food and leave the mandarin with none. They are very very slow eaters.

Hope that helped

What about a species tank? Would this possibl curb the diffculty and maybe later on introduce more fish. I'd like to get a 100+ litre tank and maye have two or so?

Back
Top Bottom