Drilling Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 39 gallon aquarium that I am using for a sump and I am wondering if I could drill a hole in the side near the top for a float valve. I need to drill about a 1/2" hole to mount the float valve. If this is simple, let me know.

If there is a chance I will break it, I might opt for a different float. I have a Kent float right now, but I saw autotopoff.com has the kind that hang on the side.

Any help would be appreciated!!

SCFatz said:
No don't drill it.Yes you will break it.
How did you come to this conclusion??

If the tank is not tempered it can be drilled. But there is always a risk of a tank breaking when being drilled.

I just got through drilling a tank without breaking it, but I would opt for the hang on float in this situation. Now if you were looking to put in an overflow I would say you might want to try it. They make special glass cutting bits called diamond bits. They come in all varieties.
I used a dremel.

First I traced the hole, then I set up a constant floe of water from the water hose to run over the spot. I then used my dimaond dremel bit and made a hole through the center of my target. I then used a stiring motion and worked it to the outside until the whole was just right. My first attempt with a dremel to cut a hole and no breakage. I was sweating it though. LOL!

Thanks guys. I think I will get a hang on float. I don't want to take a chance. If I do break the tank, it will cost me another $50 for a tank. I can pick up a hang on float for that.

Back
Top Bottom