Dsb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gleach

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I wanted a dsb I had about an inch or two of sugar grain sand already. I had a friend help me, he put the sand in the tank I was looking at it today and noticed the grain size is way to big for a dsb how can I fix this its been in the tank for a week? I'm screwed! I really don't know how to go about fixing this one.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My first question is why do you want a DSB and are you aware of the inherent dangers involved? I take it a sump is out if the question?

I like the DSB look and functional use. It eats nitrates phosphates. If it is restocked yearly with detrivores and the grain size is correct there should never be an issue. I have a 15g sump refugium. I am a new aquarist and I'm open to potential mistakes can't learn without those. But I'm confident in the benefits of a DSB I have researched it for quite some time and I feel if it is done properly the benifits will out weigh the risk 10 fold.

I don't need to read this biased opinion on the DSB. I am fully aware of the benefits of one. However I would never have on in my home. And I would certainly never put my fish in an aquarium with one.
This guy gives a completely one sided opinion and states it as a fact simply because this is the way he's done it. Yet he leaves out the one major concern anybody should have. H2S gas. Google it. DSBs will produce it. It's as deadly to fish as it is to people. Disturbing a DSB , either thru annual changing, vacuuming or even by a starfish or other big burrower will release it.

Good luck, but check out both sides if that coin before you flip it.

Chill out man don't get angry geez. Im not arguing with you I'm sure you are a very accomplished aquarist. The hydrogen sulfate is not an issue it is a part of the dsb. If you would have read the article written by Ron who is a expert in dsb you would have seen where he discusses sulfate and how he claims there are certain animals that you cannot have like sand sifting goby's and sand sifting stars ect. If you do a dsb you are never supposed to disturb it. I did watch a video on YouTube by a guy New York Steelo who purposely disturbed a 3 year old sand bed in a lps sps tank with fish to get the sand to look cleaner in the front behind the glass. He did a follow up proving and explaining that you would have to disturb a very large area of the sand bed to see a real issue. He explains that the h2s will just rise up the colum on expel. I'm not an expert but after researching for quit some time I'm confident in what I've seen. The is in the macro fauna and micro fauna this is what moves and keeps the dsb alive. My question was simply what would the method be in replacing the sand bed but I already have my battle plan laid out.

I'd say he is a credible source for info.

Attachments

• 1400307971062.jpg
    1400307971062.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 72
  • 1400307986098.jpg
    1400307986098.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 1400307986954.jpg
    1400307986954.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 71
Back