Dumb Question Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMorris271

Aquarium Advice Regular
Help please.
I have received a shipment of 40 lbs of Key Largo aquacultured LR from a dealer that says their rock is precured. I divided it in 2 mixing LR and some DR I already have. I added ammonia to the water and have a 1150 gph powerhead in each barrel. Now for the dumb part. Am I curing or cycling here please?

Thanks
:thanks:

If the rock had any kind of off odor such as rotting sea life, then you need to cure it further.
If it smelled "like the ocean" without any foul odor, it should already be fine.
Plus "curing" the rock is also cycling it essentially. ;)

Question, if this is a new tank setup, why are you messing with the barrels?
Why not just put the rock in the tank and get it started?

If the rock had any kind of off odor such as rotting sea life, then you need to cure it further.
If it smelled "like the ocean" without any foul odor, it should already be fine.

i second this statement

Yep It had a funky smell. Not really hold your nose bad but not fresh ocean water either. I have added ammonia and powerheads to the barrels.

You "cure" rocks in a separate container because your tank is already established. New rocks or, in my case, trying to kill off algae.

You "cycle" your new tank setup.

If you include new, old, live, dead, purple, or white rocks to your tank during the cycling process, you kill 2 birds with one stone. And you're "cycling" it all.

Back
Top Bottom