Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Eel wont eat...help??

I bought a zebra eel yesterday afternoon from my livestock store...(they said they fed him that morning)...well I have been trying to feed him all day today but he wont eat when I wave the dead fish infront of him (the fish for food was recommended by the store)...so I just dropped three of the fishs in the water so hopefully he will eat them.....how do i get him to eat? the only other fish in the aquarium is my yellow tang which was there two weeks before adding this fish

luckyc1423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
What kind of fish exactly? You make it sounds like freshly killed sw fish...Zebra eels prefer crustaceans so try feeding shrimp (shell on), crab meat, or virtually any other crustacean along with fiddler crabs to entice and bony fish (not live) every now and then. Eels only need to be fed 2-3 times/week and Morays can go long periods (documented to 6mos.) without eating so I wouldn't overly worry yourself. You have time XD

Innovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:16 PM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I agree that they dont need to be fed every day. When I had mine I fed it every 2-3 days as James just mentioned. I suggest you feed him shrimp. Your LFS doesnt seem to be up on eel feedings. I`m sure in a couple days he`ll be ready to eat.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

eat, eel

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com