Emergency!!!!! What to do

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rgmatzke

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My 3 year old son just put dish soap into my tank. What do I do? I don't want to change most my water out and then not work anyway. It is a 45 gal. salt water, 40lbs rock and sand with 5 fish. thank

First line of defense, water change. I would do 50% for starters.
Usually I would also suggest running carbon, but I'm not sure how it reacts with soap.
Anyone??
How much did he put in?

Unless you can move the fish to another established tank, I would start water changing and shut off the skimmer for a while. Need to at the very least dilute it. Holy smokes!!! 8O

I have everything shut off right now. I also took out everthing and gave them a rinsing. There are suds floating around on the top of the water and the fish are acting strange.

I have another tank cycling right now but I don't know if it is ready. Also, wont the soap transfer to the other tank if I move the fish.

Whats the ammonia level in the other tank? It may be the right move, if it looks like the soap is gonna kill them.
I wouldn't worry about the little soap on them, but you could always SW dip them on the way.

The amonia is on the low side... i have 80 lbs. from liverocks.com in my 75 gal. now. Maybe the rock helped it cycle?

Thanks a bunch. I am going to transfer the fish and keep doing water changes to try and save the rock.

Sorry, had to step away.
Thats what I would do in this situation.
Good luck!!!!!!

If its antibacterial soap I would move the fish right now, take your chances on the new tank.

Back
Top Bottom