Fake live rock if possible?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

buratti

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Does anyone know of any web site that sells "fake" or plastic/ ceramic peaces of live rock. I know it wouldn't have the effects of real live rock, but i just want to create some caves and structure for my 55 gal fish only tank. I dont want to go throught the hassles of curing and high prices of the real thing. I'm just looking for like a half dozen to dozen small to medium size pieces. However, not looking to spend big bucks either. Any suggestions please respond.

dont want to go throught the hassles of curing and high prices of the real thing.
I think fake LR would be far more hassle. Anything you put in your tank will quickly become covered with diatoms. Later green algae and maybe hair algae. To keep it looking "nice' you will be constantly taking it out and cleaning it. The diatoms will grow again and you fish will be freaked out.
You experience will be much more enjoyable and successful if you use real LR for your caves and structure. It can be found at reasonable prices online. Please reconsider.

Instead of going for plastic or ceremaic rock replicas you could make your own live rock using oyster shells and plaster. This would give you total artistic freedom to create the shapes you want as well as in the end not have to weekly remove the fake decorations and bleach/clean them.

Tufa which is used for gardening is a carve-able rock capable of being cut into many different shapes. I don't really know were you can buy it, however I would guess you could get it at many gardening stores.

I dont want to go throught the hassles of curing and high prices of the real thing.
Why not just get base rock then? It's the same rock, but you won't have to cure it or pay for the life. It will eventually become covered with alage etc and become live rock and will look natural. Try hirocks.com there are others out there too.

LFS should have CHEAP base rock my LFS is like a buck a pound. You don't want hollor stuff because the water in it will be stagnant and then your levels well be off and things die...

If you go with Tufa rock, add it to your tank a little bit at a time and test the water. I believe it affects the water parameters (in a good way) and you do not want to overdo it at once.

Back
Top Bottom