Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-29-2004, 11:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Send a message via AIM to buratti
Fake live rock if possible?

Does anyone know of any web site that sells "fake" or plastic/ ceramic peaces of live rock. I know it wouldn't have the effects of real live rock, but i just want to create some caves and structure for my 55 gal fish only tank. I dont want to go throught the hassles of curing and high prices of the real thing. I'm just looking for like a half dozen to dozen small to medium size pieces. However, not looking to spend big bucks either. Any suggestions please respond.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:23 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Anemoneman Send a message via Yahoo to Anemoneman
Quote:
dont want to go throught the hassles of curing and high prices of the real thing.
I think fake LR would be far more hassle. Anything you put in your tank will quickly become covered with diatoms. Later green algae and maybe hair algae. To keep it looking "nice' you will be constantly taking it out and cleaning it. The diatoms will grow again and you fish will be freaked out.
You experience will be much more enjoyable and successful if you use real LR for your caves and structure. It can be found at reasonable prices online. Please reconsider.

Old 09-29-2004, 12:30 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
Instead of going for plastic or ceremaic rock replicas you could make your own live rock using oyster shells and plaster. This would give you total artistic freedom to create the shapes you want as well as in the end not have to weekly remove the fake decorations and bleach/clean them.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2004, 01:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tufa which is used for gardening is a carve-able rock capable of being cut into many different shapes. I don't really know were you can buy it, however I would guess you could get it at many gardening stores.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:08 PM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
I dont want to go throught the hassles of curing and high prices of the real thing.
Why not just get base rock then? It's the same rock, but you won't have to cure it or pay for the life. It will eventually become covered with alage etc and become live rock and will look natural. Try hirocks.com there are others out there too.
Old 09-29-2004, 02:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
LFS should have CHEAP base rock my LFS is like a buck a pound. You don't want hollor stuff because the water in it will be stagnant and then your levels well be off and things die...
Old 09-29-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you go with Tufa rock, add it to your tank a little bit at a time and test the water. I believe it affects the water parameters (in a good way) and you do not want to overdo it at once.

*15H marine*
-30# Live Rock
-Mixed Snails (Nassarius // Cerith // Astrea // Black Turbo // Mexican Turbo)
-8x Blue Leg Hermit Crabs // 1x Banded Serpent Star // 1x Cleaner Shrimp
-1x Royal Gramma // 1x Percula Clownfish
-2x Mushroom Leather // Metallic Green Star Polyps // Pulsing Xenia // Striped Xenia // Blue Mushroom
-Remora + Maxi-Jet 1200 // 2x Maxi-Jet 600 // Maxi-Jet 400 // Visi-Therm Deluxe 50 // Current USA Orbit 2x 40w PC
grimlock3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 02:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
http://www.hirocks.com . or DIY your own "rock"

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
live, live rock, rock

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com