Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-19-2004, 04:24 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My fans are just inside the top of the lid. They blow out. They're running at 12V. I just used some 12V DC power supply I had lying around. I made sure it could supply adequate current first. Maybe not everyone has those lying around.

Old 10-19-2004, 05:05 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

If I cut a hole in the side of my lid and put the fan in it, so that in effect one side of the fan is open to the outside, and the other is blowing into my lid itself, do you think the fan would draw air in from the outside and blow it into the lid?

Old 10-19-2004, 06:09 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
What does 14.1cfm etc. mean
Its the amount of air the fan moves, the bigger the number the more air

Quote:
And what's a 3-pin tacho?
Not worried about, its for measuring the rpms when used in a PC

Quote:
When it says 60mm, is the whole thing inc. the case 60mm square?
Yes

Quote:
What's the diff between 120mm L1A and M1A?
The L is a low noise/lower output (CFM) than the M version

Quote:
I guess I have to get a voltage changeable adaptor to be able to run it at 7v instead of full speed?
Did you buy that one from Argos? thats a switchable one, you jsut change it to 7v instead of 12v, though I think that one goes to 7v max anyway?

Quote:
What's the diff between 2/3-pin and 4-pin PSU?

Do you run yours at 7v?

Shelton: which powerpack do I want (where do I get it from? if I want to run an 80mm one at 7v, and which 80mm fan do I get - the 2/3-pin or 4-pin PSU one?
They are for different connections within a PC, get the 3pin ones & if you buy from that link I gave you tell her its for an Aquarium & she'll leave the wires bare rather than putting a plug on thats no use to you, you just use the red & black wires

Re powerpack see above note about Argos one

Quote:
What are the drawbacks of a 60mm one over a 120mm one?
60mm ones really whine & don't give hardly any air movement, go for atleast 80mm

Quote:
And, you think it'll add evap even though the fan is really nowhere near the water?
Could do cos the air will be moving over the water surface & thats how evap accures....

I think thats covered most of what I can see

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.
Custom Built lid; 2 x T5 megatwin (4x39W Aquablue+); 4 moonlights.

IKS with temp & PH probes, controlling lights,heat & cooling fans.

Percula Clown; Banggai Cardinal; Firefish; Mandarin
2 Cleaner Shrimps; 3 Peppermint Shrimps; 1 Blood Shrimp
1 Large Feather Duster; 1 Hard Tube Coco Worm; Yellow Cucumber.
6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
22 Turbo/Astrae Snails; 20 IO Snails
Shultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cheers matey!

I have a multi adaptor from argos, not sure it's the one in the link you gave me...its got max 12v on it and a load of different "ends" to connect to the equipment. I guess I can run the fan at anything up to its max voltage?

So, I get the bare wires on the fan - how do I connect them to my power adaptor?? It just has a load of seperate "ends" as I said...

And, I have an acrylic lid over my tank, guess that means less or no evap from the fan?
Old 10-19-2004, 06:42 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

How deep is the fan (80mm one, but I guess they're all the same depth)?

And, how wide is the plastic "frame" around the actual fan?
Old 10-19-2004, 07:18 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
I have a multi adaptor from argos, not sure it's the one in the link you gave me...its got max 12v on it and a load of different "ends" to connect to the equipment. I guess I can run the fan at anything up to its max voltage?
Yeap

Quote:
So, I get the bare wires on the fan - how do I connect them to my power adaptor?? It just has a load of seperate "ends" as I said...
I cut the end off the adaptor, temp connected to a fan to see which was pos & neg (one way the fan works the other doesn't) & then just used a piece of connector block to do the job properly...

Quote:
And, I have an acrylic lid over my tank, guess that means less or no evap from the fan?
Could well do, how do you get on for gas exchange though? (whats your PH)

Quote:
How deep is the fan (80mm one, but I guess they're all the same depth)?
Nope, the bigger the fan the deeper it is, the 80mm one is approx 15mm deep

Quote:
And, how wide is the plastic "frame" around the actual fan?
Eh? don't quite get where your coming from with this?

Cheers Shelton.
30gal tank, 20kgs Fiji + 4kgs Madagascan LR, bare bottom, 2 x Maxijets 900, AquaC Remora skimmer, 10W D&D UV using a spraybar on surface for return,Maxijet 600 + spraybar behind LR, Ecco 2234 running RowaPhos/GAC, 150w visitherm.

6 Red Legged Hermits; 1 Green Emerald Crab; 16 Dwarf Blue Leg Hermits; 3 Zebra Hermits; 3 Popsock Hermits
Old 10-19-2004, 07:51 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Addict

So you just chop off the connector on the power adaptor, and use a piece of connector block and connect the bare wires from the fine to one side and the bare wires from the adaptor on the other? Where do I get this connector block from, and is this an easy job to do??

pH is 8.2 and stays around that (give or take day/night fluctuations) for the 2 weeks until my next water change, so all is good.

The 80mm isn't very deep at all then!
Old 10-19-2004, 08:06 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do I want 2/3-pin or 4-pin PSU?
Old 10-20-2004, 12:31 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
I know nothing at all about this, but would fans last longer if they were blowing IN rather than sucking warm salt air through them?

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 05:53 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
So you just chop off the connector on the power adaptor, and use a piece of connector block and connect the bare wires from the fine to one side and the bare wires from the adaptor on the other? Where do I get this connector block from, and is this an easy job to do??
Yeap, I'll attach a pic of mine shortly.... Get the block from electrical shops, B&Q, Focus etc..

Quote:
Do I want 2/3-pin or 4-pin PSU?
Sorry you've lost me?? the PSU's I've used have always had 2 wires, which just need the end plug cutting off & the wires split slightly & then stripped

Cheers Shelton.

Tags
hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com