Fan in Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I run 2 x 120mm (Panaflo) fans @ 7.5v through a ac to dc powerpack, the bigger the fan the more flow so then you can lower the voltage & then of course noise output :)

Mine are controlled by my IKS now, so they only come on at a set temp & go off again once the temp drops again, they don't come on at all from the point my main lights go off, thus evap is still around 1½ ltrs per day roughly

Cheers Shelton.

Cool...well I've just got my new lights so I'll see how they affect the temp!

When I get my 2 last fish and my soft corals, do you think my evaporation will go up a lot, if at all? ;)

I'll get one of the 120mm ones you've got, I'll adapt my lid somehow :p (Are they 120mm squared?).

It'll blow across the tank from left to right, with the opening at the right. I hope this will be enough! And not create any evaporation as it's blowing across the lights and not into the water :p

Are they cheap? And very quiet?? Where do you get them from? ;)

Is it possible to get a thermostat or something that will turn it on and off at certain temps, like yours?

I would think you'll get some evap, not more than a couple of ltrs per day, all it means is when you go to your tank to feed/look/scrape algae etc etc you just take a jug with a ltr of RO water in it & topup :)

Yes 120mm fans are that square, I bought a 120-80mm adaptor from a PC shop so they'd fit on the back of my tank.

Depends on what you call cheap really? Panaflo's are known to be hard wearing & quieter than most brands, I can certainly hear mine when they come on, but they don't "whine" like smaller fans do.

Dunno about the last, when I looked into temp control I couldn't find anything cheap tbh, in the end I decided that an IKS could control my light cycle, heat & cooling whilst also monitoring temp & PH (atm) which made it an all round package, a long term solution as the above has cost me approx £500 8O

This site has the adaptor I bought, it also has stealth fans which are supposed to be quiet, but i've never used them!

http://www.casetech.co.uk/index.php/cPath/29_55

Here's where I got my pana's from:

http://www.dorothybradbury.co.uk/

Cheers Shelton.

Cheers - will pick one up from that site...

What are the drawbacks of a 60mm one over a 120mm one? And how do I get a powersupply for it? Are the ok to be put in an aquarium lid above the water, ie. are they splash proof and safe?

Which will be quieter? I really dont want to add to the noise of my tank anymore :/

And, you think it'll add evap even though the fan is really nowhere near the water?

What does 14.1cfm etc. mean?

And what's a 3-pin tacho? ;)

When it says 60mm, is the whole thing inc. the case 60mm square?

What's the diff between 120mm L1A and M1A?

I guess I have to get a voltage changeable adaptor to be able to run it at 7v instead of full speed?

8O

I bought the 80mm Panaflo instead of the 120mm because the 80mm are rated quieter than the 120mm fans. Their 80mm fans are the quietest of any size they make (bigger or smaller). I run two of them and I simply don't hear anything when I turn them on.

What's the diff between 2/3-pin and 4-pin PSU?

Do you run yours at 7v?

Shelton: which powerpack do I want (where do I get it from? :) if I want to run an 80mm one at 7v, and which 80mm fan do I get - the 2/3-pin or 4-pin PSU one?

My fans are just inside the top of the lid. They blow out. They're running at 12V. I just used some 12V DC power supply I had lying around. I made sure it could supply adequate current first. Maybe not everyone has those lying around. :wink:

If I cut a hole in the side of my lid and put the fan in it, so that in effect one side of the fan is open to the outside, and the other is blowing into my lid itself, do you think the fan would draw air in from the outside and blow it into the lid?

What does 14.1cfm etc. mean

Its the amount of air the fan moves, the bigger the number the more air :)

And what's a 3-pin tacho?

Not worried about, its for measuring the rpms when used in a PC

When it says 60mm, is the whole thing inc. the case 60mm square?

Yes

What's the diff between 120mm L1A and M1A?

The L is a low noise/lower output (CFM) than the M version

I guess I have to get a voltage changeable adaptor to be able to run it at 7v instead of full speed?

Did you buy that one from Argos? thats a switchable one, you jsut change it to 7v instead of 12v, though I think that one goes to 7v max anyway?

What's the diff between 2/3-pin and 4-pin PSU?

Do you run yours at 7v?

Shelton: which powerpack do I want (where do I get it from? if I want to run an 80mm one at 7v, and which 80mm fan do I get - the 2/3-pin or 4-pin PSU one?

They are for different connections within a PC, get the 3pin ones & if you buy from that link I gave you tell her its for an Aquarium & she'll leave the wires bare rather than putting a plug on thats no use to you, you just use the red & black wires :)

Re powerpack see above note about Argos one :)

What are the drawbacks of a 60mm one over a 120mm one?

60mm ones really whine & don't give hardly any air movement, go for atleast 80mm

And, you think it'll add evap even though the fan is really nowhere near the water?

Could do cos the air will be moving over the water surface & thats how evap accures....

I think thats covered most of what I can see :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers Shelton.

Cheers matey!

I have a multi adaptor from argos, not sure it's the one in the link you gave me...its got max 12v on it and a load of different "ends" to connect to the equipment. I guess I can run the fan at anything up to its max voltage?

So, I get the bare wires on the fan - how do I connect them to my power adaptor?? It just has a load of seperate "ends" as I said...

And, I have an acrylic lid over my tank, guess that means less or no evap from the fan? ;)

How deep is the fan (80mm one, but I guess they're all the same depth)?

And, how wide is the plastic "frame" around the actual fan?

I have a multi adaptor from argos, not sure it's the one in the link you gave me...its got max 12v on it and a load of different "ends" to connect to the equipment. I guess I can run the fan at anything up to its max voltage?

Yeap :)

So, I get the bare wires on the fan - how do I connect them to my power adaptor?? It just has a load of seperate "ends" as I said...

I cut the end off the adaptor, temp connected to a fan to see which was pos & neg (one way the fan works the other doesn't) & then just used a piece of connector block to do the job properly...

And, I have an acrylic lid over my tank, guess that means less or no evap from the fan?

Could well do, how do you get on for gas exchange though? (whats your PH)

How deep is the fan (80mm one, but I guess they're all the same depth)?

Nope, the bigger the fan the deeper it is, the 80mm one is approx 15mm deep

And, how wide is the plastic "frame" around the actual fan?

Eh? don't quite get where your coming from with this?

Cheers Shelton.

So you just chop off the connector on the power adaptor, and use a piece of connector block and connect the bare wires from the fine to one side and the bare wires from the adaptor on the other? Where do I get this connector block from, and is this an easy job to do?? :)

pH is 8.2 and stays around that (give or take day/night fluctuations) for the 2 weeks until my next water change, so all is good.

The 80mm isn't very deep at all then!

I know nothing at all about this, but would fans last longer if they were blowing IN rather than sucking warm salt air through them?

So you just chop off the connector on the power adaptor, and use a piece of connector block and connect the bare wires from the fine to one side and the bare wires from the adaptor on the other? Where do I get this connector block from, and is this an easy job to do??

Yeap, I'll attach a pic of mine shortly.... Get the block from electrical shops, B&Q, Focus etc..

Do I want 2/3-pin or 4-pin PSU?

Sorry you've lost me?? the PSU's I've used have always had 2 wires, which just need the end plug cutting off & the wires split slightly & then stripped

Cheers Shelton.

Back
Top Bottom