Few live R/S questons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saltcreep1025

Aquarium Advice FINatic
hello all,

how much sand and lr should i have for a 55g tank? and also, what is the best type of rock to get from liverocks.com ?

ty very much!

I have about 110 lbs of LR in my 55

I would say that at least 1 lb per gal is good enough

I would get the Keys or the Gulf rock, as it has a good amount of growth on it... :wink:

IF you go with FL rock then i would say tim's 110lbs is a good amount. If you go with fiji rock I suspect you might have a hard time putting 110lbs of rock in a 55 and still have a fair amount of room for the fish to swim and move about.

This is because fiji rock is less dense so you get more surface area per lb from fiji rock than from the FL aquaculture rock (on average).

As far as the sand shoot for a 3-4" depth if you want a DSB. You can use our sand depth calculator to estimate the amount of sand you will need for that depth. Remember the calculator is only an estimate because different types of sand will weight different amounts per lb depending on if its dry or we or how large the particle sizes are.

FWIW, I just filled a fuge tank with dry "Tropical Play Sand from Oldcastle Stone Products" two 50lb bags gave me a 4" DSB almost exactly...

Back
Top Bottom