filter and powerhead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

luckyc1423

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a magnum 350 filter...my friend is is somewhat experience with saltwater tanks mentioned most users use powerheads that move the water around...not real familiar with what he is talkin about....he said I shoudl buy a set of Koralia 3 or Koralia 4 powerheads. Would I use my current filter also with it or try and take my filter back as I have 30 days to do so....what exactly do the powerheads do and which setup would be better?

Personally, I like filters. I like to run purigen in mine. The filter probably won't give you enough flow. What sized tank?
The phs will give you more flow and surface ripple.

I'd keep the magnum and use it for chemical filtration (carbon, purigen, etc). I'd then supplement the flow with a couple powerheads as your friend suggested. The powerheads just make current. You want random currents, versus one big circular current - like you'd get with just the output of the magnum. A good way to create random currents is to put a powerhead in the back corners of the tank, pointing towards the front center, kind of in a "V" pattern looking down from the top. Depending on your rockwork, you can bounce the flow from powerheads off your rockwork, or do bank shots off the side glass - anything to break up the flow and make it more chaotic. It'll take some experimenting but after a few tries you'll find something that works.

well my magnum filter came apart while cleaning...so now i have to go get something else first thing tomorrow morning and take the magnum 350 back, i wasnt happy with it anyways....what should i get? power head/filter...??

Back
Top Bottom