filter media, been out to the quilting store?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

douggiestyle

Aquarium Advice Freak
is the fiber floss for stuffing pillows and quilts ok to use in a reef tank?

if not does any know where to get this stuff in bulk for cheap.

100% polyester is what fish stores sell.I can only assume that it would be cheaper at a craft store

fiber floss for stuffing pillows and quilts ok to use in a reef tank

If this is a reef tank, I would not recommend the use of prefilters, they tend to be nutrient producers and little else. If you want to use it, make sure you change ti often.

If you have 1.5-2lbs per gallon of LR then I would not use any media in the fluval, simply use it for moving water and occasional carbon filtering.

I am thinking of removing the filter cartridge of my Emperor 400 as well. However, if I use my Emperor 4000 just for water circulation, then isn't the debris will go back to the tank again? Do you then have to do more vaccumming? Or do I just hope that my Remora will capture the debris and export it out?
I agree that having the filter cartridge in there get the debris collected so fast that you almost need to clean out the filter every 2 days.

Also some quilt battings have additives like flame retarders or anti bacterial stuff added so watch out. But I would agree on not using any media or you just end up with a nitrate producer.

I have close to around 180lbs or lr in my 110g but the filte pads in my sump alway get dirty. Isn't it good to leave this layer of mechanical filtration in? I think part of the problem is that my skimmer is not big/good enough for my tank.

I am thinking of removing the filter cartridge of my Emperor 400 as well. However, if I use my Emperor 4000 just for water circulation, then isn't the debris will go back to the tank again? Do you then have to do more vaccumming? Or do I just hope that my Remora will capture the debris and export it out?
I agree that having the filter cartridge in there get the debris collected so fast that you almost need to clean out the filter every 2 days.

ah yes good thinking. Maybe I'll add a few pounds of small LR in the fluval then, I had already questioned the need for carbon as I have not used it in any tanks I have ever had and all is fine. I just clean my filters:)

The problem is that the filter media traps the stuff and gunk and it then rots leading to high levels of nitrate in the tank. This means more water changes for you or else more deaths of inverts.

That gunk that gets trapped will get cleaned up by the snails and hermits and worms and what not living in your LR and LS.

But adding LR to a filter will do the same thing in that the inverts won't really live in there.. There are ways of keeping LR in a filter setup but I am not up on those, fuges and sumps ect...

If you use the layer of filter padding you deprive your corals and pods and skimmer of it. Many of the critters in our tank will eat the particulates that are in the water column, and if it reaches the skimmer it is removed from the tank entirely. If it is caught in the filter padding it sits there and rots producing nutrients for pest algaes to feed on, until the filter padding is replaced. Like I said, if you use it, replace it often ;)

Also some quilt battings have additives like flame retarders or anti bacterial stuff added so watch out. But I would agree on not using any media or you just end up with a nitrate producer.
that is what is what i was wooried about. flame retardent. is it bad has any one had any experience using floss stuffing. i have read from a few freshwater junkies that they use the stuff regularly with no ill effects.

currently i wash out my filter pads twice a week. but i was looking for a cheaper alternative that would allow my to replace them out right.

on that note, not meaning to rock anyones boat ( i am new to the whole reef tank thing) it would seem to me that it would not matter where the decomposistion takes place. in a filter or in a tank or in a belly your end results are the same amonia to nitite to nitrate. the filter process allows me to remove the bad stuff before it has a chance to completely decompose.

i am not suggesting that anyone change there habits. there are three things that ive learned in the past 6 months. consistancie; patience; if its working, leave it alone. one guy will say change 10% of your water every week another says 25% every month another says hes never changed his water (i like that idea there is nothing worse than plopping down 50$ for a bucket of salt)

anyways back to my question does anyone know where to find some bulk filter pad? the kind without flame retardent. i would love to find a financaily possible way to change pads with new every other day.

it would seem to me that it would not matter where the decomposistion takes place. in a filter or in a tank or in a belly your end results are the same amonia to nitite to nitrate. the filter process allows me to remove the bad stuff before it has a chance to completely decompose.

The difference is the proximity to the denitrifying bacteria, the fact that what yyour critters eat some is used to provide energy for the critter, therfore less is actually decomposing, and if it is removed by a skimmer it is removed from the system, totally out of the water column.

Believe it or not, it makes al big difference.

Do you think I should keep my filter pads in for now until i can get a bigger/better skimmer? My filter pads get really dirty in the matter of a day or 2.

I would try without it and see what happens, you might be surprised at how much the detrivores in your tank take out. There is no problem in using the prefilters, provided they are cleaned well or replaced often.

and if it is removed by a skimmer it is removed from the system, totally out of the water column

i aggree 100%

but will a skimmer remove large particles?

Back
Top Bottom