Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-19-2012, 01:09 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

Alright. And the over flow just moves water from the dt to the sump?

Old 05-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep. If you do not decide to drill the tank the only hang on overflow i would use is a CPR with the aqua lifter pump. I have had power outages with mine and it always starts up on it's own .

^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:49 PM   #13
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

The aqualifter is a life saver. It kept siphon on my system great until it burnt out, and I then almost overflowed my DT.

Either way, a nice sump setup is what is needed for a good reef. It gives you space for your skimmer and fuge. Along with that you can put anything in there from heaters and so on. I'm planning on putting all the above back into my sump once I fix my issue, which has a dual reactor w/ GFO and activated carbon with the addition of an algae scrubber. I've come to the conclusion that it is turning into overkill, but I really like the DIY projects.
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:29 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Regular

Yeah I'm going to keep doing research to find out more about what to put into it (skimmers algae scrubers filters ect.) And I think I'm ganna go with your advice to drill it. Along with how the set up should actually look like. Just like I said before I'm a novice and my knowledge on the subject is virtially zero. =\ so your advice is really appreciated. Thank you.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4117993355.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	95609

This is what I made out of a ten gal tank easy cheap and u have a sump and fuge in one I had a return pump but u can get one for 40 dollars the tank is 13 or go to a goodwill the light is a shop like 10 and I put glass 4 to 6 in away from the side for the water to flow back in and a skimmer ones at 9 in high the lower one is at 7 then the water hits the return pump and goes back up to the top tank I put cheato algae in there for nitrates I had a sump but got rid of it because it was a nitrate factory with the bio balls and that it doubled the clarity in my tank in the first week I put it in I'm into the hole thing maybe 60 dollars
Old 05-19-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Regular

Cool that looks really good. Whats the reason for putting them a different hights though? Just for water flow?
Old 05-19-2012, 04:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ya water flow gives more air in the water and keeps the cheato algae in the middle
Old 05-19-2012, 04:13 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

So I should do the overflow to a middle section where the biological filtration is (cheato? Not sure what that is) to another section with a filter then another with a skimmer possibly? I'm sorry Im sure I sound like such a noob but I'm so confussed. The more i read about the system the more i feel like im getting ahead of myself in not truly understanding the layout. Or there's a bunch of termanology I don't understand. =\
Old 05-19-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't worry about it your first chamber is the 9 in high one depending on what you use for a tank that is where your incoming and your skimmer will go I put a sock on the end of my incoming line then it goes down to a middle chamber that has your hair algae or cheato algae that helps with nitrates then u go to the7 in high chamber that is where your return pump will go I also put filter pads on that so I could filter what ever is left that the filter sock did not get and or so the cheato algae doesn't or hair algae doesn't get clogged in ur return pump
Old 05-19-2012, 04:28 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Make sure they are wide enough to fit a skimmer and the incoming PVC pipe, you could cut holes in ur tank but I was to lazy to do that lol

Tags
filter, filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com