filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Alright thanks. You used regular filter cartrages at the end? And just glass sheets to seperat the tank? My dt is a 30 gallon so I think I'm going to go with the 10 g for this. Any recomendations on skimmer type or size? I don't have one yet and iv seen so many diffrent kinds I'm not sure what I should get.

I just got marine land rite size bonded filter pads you cut it to the size you want and its cheap it's blue and white and yes I used glass from a old glass top of a 10 gal fish tank u may be able to go to a hardware store and find something cheaper hard plastic anything like that will work and then get silicone from a fish store and on a skimmer note I don't know I'm not using one right now I don't know if it's really worth it I made room for one in case I do I have to do more research on them because they r really expensive and if I do get one I want a good one I hear many different things about many different ones

Yes, also depends on your overflow box. I would do some google searches with some pics to get an idea. Also you can youtube sumps/overflows and glass tank drilling as well. Should get alot of useful hits.

A lot of people have told me that I shouldn't do a box. So I wad thinking about just running pipes from the bulkhead to the sump and do the overflow in that. I tried google but almost everything ov see has had boxes so I'm not really sure what to do.

Because some fish store when they drill holes the don't use them anymore fish store Here have them go straight to the sump or fuge

No they do not hang. They are siliconed in place with aquarium grade silicone. A bulkhead inside the overflow with plumbing inside the overflow and plumbing down to the sump. Do some google searchs. Hang on the back overflows are the ones that have problems

Why do the hang on back overflows have problem I've had mine on there for ten years never had a problem ????? What kind of problems do they have??? I've never heard of them ever haveing problems!

I have never heard of that not saying your wrong i know a lot of people that have the same system and never had problem

I'm confused not that that is hard lol if it goes throw the first tube to the over flow the only place I'm getting air ever once and I while is right there where it goes to down to the sump and there's no wait for that to stop it because it going down so the water has to go down I am a stupid brick layer!!

J33ps said:
How do they lose siphon inless u some how lose In coming water

They can suck in air and overtime it can build up in the top of the U breaking the siphon. Also in event of power outage siphon can break and when the power kicks back in your return will start and flood the display. Its a fairly common problem with hang on overflows. They do work and siphon loss can be reduced and prevented for the most part however the risk is there and i know if i had tens of gallons water on my floor the wife would kill me and the damages would be high.

Usually the only reason or instance a hang on overflow is recommend is when the tank is already setup and established and cannot be drilled.

Also before drilling make sure the glass you are drilling is not tempered. If it Is it will shatter. On most tanks only the bottom glass is tempered however this is not always the case. Best to call the manufacturer to make sure.

Back
Top Bottom