Filtration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mc96928

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can someone please help me out. I just started a 75 gallon tank that i acquired. No fish or anything. I don't want to start until i have a filtration system set up. If someone could guide me in the right direction to what i need. I would love to have a coral tank in the future.

Start cycling the tank with a biological filter. One pound on live rock and one pound of live sand per gallon. This way you can build the bacteria you need for the volume of water.

Do i need any type of mechanical filter? Or does that come later on?

Yes you do. Have you considered a sump? You will need a protein skimmer

I did consider it but set up seems a bit confusing

Having a sump helps. First it adds more volume of water to your display tank. Therefore stabilizing it more. It gives a place for your skimmer. Skimmer removes extra nutrients before it hits your main filter. A sponge will also help with mechanical filtration. I use activated carbon for my chemical filtration. It absorbs some wastes out your water plus polishes it keeping it crystal clear. Sump also allows you to have a refugium which u can grow algae to lower phosphates and a place for copepods to grow in a predator free enviroment

Do what i did. Google saltwater for dummies and download the pdf :)

That sounds great! I was just about to ask if you could give me a bit more detail. But ill do that instead! Thank you

Back
Top Bottom