Filtration question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishy929

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was reading in another post that LR works as a bio filter, eliminating the need for any external filtration. Is this true? I've done a lot of reading and I've never heard this before today.

I've got a 55gallon reef with 75lbs LR and a 3-4" DSB and an Emporer 400 Bio-wheel filtration system. Can I lose the filters altogether and just keep the skimmer?

Can I lose the filters altogether and just keep the skimmer?

IMO, yep!! What you might consider doing...rather t6han losing the filter entirely, is to remove the cartridges and the biowheels, then your oly using the filter for circulation, but you have an easy place to add carbon periodically ;)

Yeah you could get rid of the wheels in the emporer and just use it for water flow. You will actually probably want to eventually get rid of the bio wheels because nitrates will start to build up on it and as we all know nitrates are bad news.

Between that much rock and the DSB you should be all set for biological filtration. Just keep up the water flow if you get rid of the emporer!

-Dan

As far as waterflow, I'm circulating almost 900gph with 3 MaxiJet 1200's. I don't think I need the filter for movement then, do I?

One of the things that really bothers me about the filtration is the salt creep I get on my lights from the splash of the water upon reentry. If I can lose that, my maintanance just got easier :)

What skimmer would you suggest with my setup: Right now I'm running the ever popular Red Sea Prizm :?

As far as waterflow, I'm circulating almost 900gph with 3 MaxiJet 1200's. I don't think I need the filter for movement then, do I?

No you shouldn't :)

One of the things that really bothers me about the filtration is the salt creep I get on my lights from the splash of the water upon reentry. If I can lose that, my maintanance just got easier

Lose the filter, it's still available whenever you might need to run carbon, but you can take it off till then, SaltCreep Sucks!! :mrgreen:

What skimmer would you suggest with my setup: Right now I'm running the ever popular Red Sea Prizm

Assuming you don't have a sump...I would recommend the AquaC remora or the CPR bakpak

I would recommend the Remora Pro or the Double Bak Pak.

Brian

Aqua C Remora if you're going to stay with the 55. Remora Pro or Red Sea Berlin (my favorite) if you want to upgrade to a larger tank someday. JMHO.

I removed my filter last night, and today my water looks like crap :? There is a thin film of "junk" across the top (except where my PH's are rippling the water.) Also, it looks like diatoms might be taking back over the sand. I haven't seen any of that activity in a while :roll:

Any suggestions, or is this normal? I'm thinking about putting the filter back on...

Your tank is going to have to adjust to the sudden change that just occurred, even though your sandbed and rock will take over. Tanks achieve a balance, when disturbed they can go off kilter a bit. Just be patient and things should return to normal in short order.

Totally agree with Hoops everything will balance out in about a week if not less. Patience is a virtue in this hobby just go with the flow it will correct itself soon! :wink: Good Luck!

Thanks Hoops and Gooy for your advice. I didn't place the filtration back in the tank, and the water is already much clearer after only three days. This is my first tank, so I am a little paranoid about my water quality :roll:

I still think I need to upgrade my skimmer though... I'm leaning toward the Remora Pro. Everyone seems to like that one alot.

Back
Top Bottom