Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-18-2009, 01:27 PM   #61
Aquarium Advice Freak

Don't worry bout those Zoas, they will spread. Mine are spreading like CRAZY. I've got 5 different frags mounted on a huge rock and they are slowing spreading towards each other. Soon I will have one HUGE Zoas rock with all different colors

I also have what looks to be the same Xenia you just bought. That one is growing like a weed!

Old 08-18-2009, 05:38 PM   #62
Aquarium Advice Regular

Honestly, the Xenia is the only one that's got me a little worried cause the more research I do, the more confused I get. DrF&S says they are medium waterflow critters that need moderate light, while Wetwebmedia tends to just give generalized info that Xeniid's like strong flow (some grow right up to the powerheads) and are non-photosynthetic and non-predatory. So, i guess it's gonna be a case of just hoping for the best.

<update> Well, I had noticed that my Xenia had what looked like a second stalk when I got it placed in the tank but i didn't think much of it. Now it's official, it split, I now have two seperate stalks of my heteroxenia. Surprising how far it managed to move though. (sorry about the blurred pic... my camera HATES this coral). =P

Old 08-22-2009, 01:40 PM   #63
Aquarium Advice Addict

cool! keep us updated!
Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 PM   #64
Aquarium Advice Addict

I want some...Very nice and it looks like all will make it. A word on Wives...They have centuries on us when it comes to "Shopping". XD
Old 08-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #65
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Ratrik13: What kind of light do you have for your SW?
Old 08-23-2009, 02:28 AM   #66
Aquarium Advice Addict

Cool Xenia split. Your Zoas look AWESOME!!! Mind sending some to Australia? lol

Follow my 6G Pico build!
Mitchell0605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:45 PM   #67
Aquarium Advice Regular

Sorry I haven't updated in a while, my lighting cycle no longer cynics up with my work schedule so only the antics are on when I wake up and when I get home. Makes it really hard to get pics anytime except for my weekend. At least my wife gets to see it when the all the lights are burning. =P

I'm using a dual 96 watt PC fixture with 1 antic and 1 14k bulb and a dual 150 watt MH fixture from Current USA. I got both from E-bay. The PC fixture was actually for the planted FW tank i was going to build. I waited 6 months to a year for my LFS to order me a 40 breeder only to have it come in as a 40 breeder "reptile tank" (thiner glass and only siliconed about 3/4ths of the way up) and it was strapped so tight when they packaged it for the barge that it was crushed to the point the frame was bowed in 6 inches on each side (and the tanks only 18 inch deep!!!). The MH I bought referb from CurrentUSA's ebay store. I actually had a great exp with them, good customer service, price was right (right around $250ish I think), and it was packaged well for shipping.

I've actually moved the zoas around a bit atm cause i'm wanting them to spread and the rock they were on was barely touching any of the rocks I wanted them on. Oh, and the locals around here have first dibs on any frag as my insurance policy incase my tank crashed =P

I bought some green star polyps on friday. Been bugging the LFS to order me some stuff for weeks and then boom, they order without me. Luckily the owner grabbed a nice selection of corals (though he got mostly stonies). I also managed to reserve some blue mushrooms, but he'd already aclimated them to the display tank and I didn't wanna stress them more after the hellacious trip they had with shipping. Turns out the supplyer shipped this load of coral to Alaska... with cold packs. He warned me that he's never gotten them to open up untill at least a week after arrival... mine were open the next day.

Anyway, pics inc Tuesdayish!
Old 08-23-2009, 06:04 PM   #68
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you are well on your way to a great tank. Why not set the lights on a timer so that you can enjoy them while you are home. I don't think the fish and corals will mind as long as you change the lighting schedule slowly.
Old 08-24-2009, 06:09 AM   #69
Aquarium Advice Regular

Actually, the lights are on 4 timers, the LED moonlights are on one timer from about till 10am to midnight (14 hours total), the antic is on another from 11am to 11pm (12hours), the 14k PC is on from about 12 noon to 10pm (10hours) and the MHs are burning from 1pm to 9pm (8 hours). I work evening shifts from 1pm to 10pm and I sleep most of the morning so the only time i could shift the lights to would be late night... and around here, thats a great way to get a visit from the cops looking for pot growers.

At the moment this is actually looking like it's gonna be to much light as I've had an algae bloom over the past week or so and the only thing that's changed is the lighting. I guess it could be cause my fuge is offline atm too, but... my fuge hadn't even broken in yet. For the most part, it looks like it's Cyano on the rocks, but that weird hair algae cropped up again, this time on the sandbed. I'm thinking I'm probably gonna cut the MH's back to about 4 hours by adjusting the on and off time by an hour at a time over a the week and do a bit of manual removal on my day off. I'm actually considering throwing the hair algae stuff in my fuge to see if i can get it to grow there since i'm of the oppinion that a problem weed in the display tank might be a great nutrient sink in the fuge where it doesn't detract from anything... heck, I wouldn't even mind cyano if it was corralled in the fuge.

In the grand scheme of things, I've gotta make myself put my tank on hold right now. I'm worried i've done a little to much a little to fast with the coral atm and that the system is gonna need the time to stablize. Oh, and my wife's done the worst thing... EVER! She's decided we need to buy a house sometime within the next two months! The good news is... she's agreed to let me have a moat! The bad news is, she gets to pick the moat monster... jk. Actually, she's agreed that I get my choice of any spare bedroom/utility room... i might actually get to live my dream of my own fishroom!!! In return... she gets to put her computer in the living room... SOLD! Don't worry though guys, i plan to keep posting more pics etc untill I have to rip it all down and move it... in the dead of the Alaskan winter... /shudder. Other than some blue shrooms the LFS is holding for me, my livestock is set for now. Funny, I swear I remember planning this thing out as a FOWLR, but I don't think i'll even have any fish till next summer!
Old 08-24-2009, 07:58 PM   #70
Aquarium Advice Addict

well that f and c key are pretty close. you probably meant to type COWLR.

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com