Finally took the SW plunge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NYCrooner

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey guys, been lurking for a while and finally signed up. Been doing FW tanks for years but always wanted to get into SW. I've decided to start small so I picked up an Oceanic Biocube 14 gl.

I got a great deal from a friend that includes all new Oceanic accessories:

- Protein skimmer
- Mini hydrometer
- Magnetic glass cleaner
- Mini ultraviolet sterilizer
- 250 gph circulation pump
- 2 pk filter cartridges

He also included:

- 1 bag of marine substrate
- 1 bag of live sand
- 1 bag red sea salt
- (unfortunately I still need a heater)

I'm excited to say the least. Got everything running tonight except the protein skimmer, ultra violet and circulation pump (waiting to cycle for a while first). Also waiting for the cloudiness to subside so I can envision where to put my eventual live rock.

My hopes are to get two small clowns, a cleaner shrimp and a starfish. No more (unless you recommend something). However I won't even consider adding anything till I get back from Aruba in August.

My questions to you all, is what else should I be doing to prepare for live stock? Also I'm really curious as to how coral works? Is that produced from the live rock or something I must purchase separately? What kind of coral would you recommend for what I have in mind.

Btw, please scold me if I'm dreaming too big. Thanks!

Welcome to Aquarium Advice! Your plans sound great. On a tank that small you won't really need a protein skimmer or UV sterilizer, but since you have them already you can use them. Starfish - I've heard they don't do very well in small tanks, but wait for someone more experienced to reply.

Corals are actually separate organisms that you need to purchase. There are a HUGE variety of them that all have slightly different lighting needs. You may get lucky and have a few hitch hikers on your live rock. To keep coral, you will need strong lighting and good water quality. I'm still learning myself - don't have a reef right now, just a FOWLR (fish-only with live rock). It's possible to start out with a reef, you will just have to do some extra researching.

Check out this sticky for an intro guide to saltwater. Good luck with your tank, you seem to be on the right track :)

Back
Top Bottom