Finally: Uprading to 120g Reef - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I figured while I'm already at it I may as well check the other chem values:

Ammonia 0.5 (dosed today, so that's expected)
Nitrite 0.25
Nitrate 0.0 WTF?!
pH 7.8 .... Oh well

Nitrites have been dropping for the last 2-3 days so I expected the nitrates to slowly catch up and rise, but nothing! They actually dropped!!! Last week they were 20 ppm
Either my DSB is just amazing and exceeded my expectations or something funky is going on LOL
Will keep an eye on it

coffeetwitch said:
Your dsb must be amazing.

Really idk. Maybe ur last water change knocked it down that much. Fw for me did the same thing.

Maybe... But a 15% water change wouldn't drop nitrates from 20 to zero... Dunno, but I will definitely keep an eye on it. Maybe, if I dose ammonia to 2 tomorrow and it drops with nitrites zero in 12hrs, I can finally release my kole tang from QT and add him!! That would make him happy for sure. Also, it's tine for my anemone to see some better light ;)

coffeetwitch said:
Ha. I never claimed to know what I'm talking about.

Well, for calming to not know much you've been doing quiet well with ur 5 dozen tanks ;b

blind stinking luck!!!

i just turn the lights on and off and throw too much food at them.

well, that must be the magic recipe that nobody is able to follow :rolleyes:

How many hobbyist does it take to turn on an aquarium light?! :lol:
considering that I went through 3 fixtures my answer would be more than two...

coffeetwitch said:
whats on the agenda for you and your tank? when are doing the 2ppm ammo thing?

When my nitrites test zero. The 2ppm is gonna be a verifying text run to see if the cycle is complete. May be tomorrow or the day after. Sure it'll be soon ;)

Dosed amm this am after the results I posted. Here is the result 16hrs later

Surprised the NO3 went up after all LOL
nitrites as always a pain in the but... Any ideas what that pH is supposed to be like? Looks like 7.8-8.0 to me

Attachments

• image-3396730042.jpg
    image-3396730042.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 73
  • image-1548848445.jpg
    image-1548848445.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 59
thats a pretty shade of purple. i wish i knew something for you to do. almost looks like your just shy of being a week from done.

it was almost blue today, but due to dosing of ammo it went back up again. Ammo hardly stays up longer than 2hrs, so I guess my ammo-eating bacteria must be pretty tough :D
Nothing to do about the nitrite-eating bac as all I can do is wait. It's there and it's doing it's job... just not fast enough LOL
gonna check again in the AM and see how is changed and how fast. Wondering if my nitrate is going down again like magic as it did before LOL

OMG WE DID IT!!!!!
and Even The Nitrate went down w/o me doing ANYTHING O_O
It's perfect :)

Attachments

• image-1143995425.jpg
    image-1143995425.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 77
Thx, I'm very very happy too :D sent My boyfriend a picture while he is at work. He called bc he is so ecstatic LOL

Thx, I'm very very happy too :D sent My boyfriend a picture while he is at work. He called bc he is so ecstatic LOL

Thats funny. :lol: While my tank was cycling, my wife would come up to every time I did testing and with tremendous concern ask me "Is everything ok". LOL Got to say it was sure nice when I was finally able to net the two clowns and get them in the tank.

Yesterday when the nitrites showed up slightly purple he started arguing with me that is was basically blue LOL but I'm glad I waited. I thought this moment would never come...
I'm gonna add slowly though. First I wanna get my tang out of QT bc he does look depressed in that tiny thing.

Absolutely go slow. Due to lack of cash I have been forced to go slow but it really has helped. My tests have all remained perfect, all my fish have made themselves at home within an hour or two and everything just keeps perking along. Very minor speed bumps here and there but nothing like what I have read in some of these posts. I feel pretty lucky.

rdnelson99 said:
Absolutely go slow. Due to lack of cash I have been forced to go slow but it really has helped. My tests have all remained perfect, all my fish have made themselves at home within an hour or two and everything just keeps perking along. Very minor speed bumps here and there but nothing like what I have read in some of these posts. I feel pretty lucky.

Hope ur luck will be rubbing off ;)

Did a minor water change just in case. Kole is still in drip aclimation together with Randall and his shrimp. Gonna do a 3-4 hr acclimation time due to the shrimp. Also dimmed the light down to only purple and blue, and one 6000K bulb so they won't have too much of a shock. May add my Xenia and bubble anemone bc they are WAAAY overdue for some ether light. Will see

Back
Top Bottom