Finally: Uprading to 120g Reef - Build Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unicorn

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Heya Guys, Long time no see :oops:
Was so busy with life, school, new puppy... but I'm back and I brought something GREAT with me!

My boyfriend finally let me get my 120g tank (and payed for it too :eek: )
It is work in the making, espacially because most of it is gonna be DIY, but I got the plans in my head - just need to put em to paper (or into the tank for that matter).

Its a 120g pre-drilled
I bought a 55g long tank to go underneath as the sump
Also got myself a RO/DI filtration system because water from the LFS is gonna be waaaay to expansive

Pictures will follow (got em on my phone)

It will be a long road because my boyfriend wants to contribute to it too, but doesnt want to spend ALL the money in one time.... as if I would have done that :angel:

Will need help with some questions that will pop up along the way, so I hope you guys can help me

IM SO EXCITED, and I bet my fishies cant wait either

Here it is :) still standing in the garage until we fit the house cleaned out an details figured out

Attachments

• image-33529614.jpg
    image-33529614.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 312
ok, summer semester is almost over and I'm starting to think about little details I'm gonna do once I got free time in between semesters :D

I always wanted a deep sand bed bc of it's benefits I read and heard about.
When I look and meassure the display tank, 5 inches is gonna be pretty high up there and prolly wont be too pretty.
So I was thinking, and PLEASE give me your input and ideas, I'm gonna have 3 inches in the display, and 5 inches in the sump...
So, in my pre-layout for the sump, after the first bubble trap, the wall for the incoming water is 7 inches high, with a 5 inch sand bed that would leave 2 inches for water to float over to the next bubble trap to the return section.... is that enough?
Can I put some life rock rubble in top for extra filtration?

how about a 4 inch sand bed in the sump? is that enough for a sufficient deep sand bed nitrate eater?!?!

So, this is my sump design.
I re-over-thought my deep sand bed issue and decided to go with a 3.5-4 inch sand bed in the DT and life rock rubble in the sump. 5 inch bed in the refugium should add extra help ;)
I still do not know what to do with the protein skimmer. We do not have one yet and so I'm not quiet sure how it will fit. I looked at dimensions in the stores but still... LOL
I may place it in the intake part, Which is 8 x 11 3/4 x 20 or into the life rock part and just add a sponge-thingy to the skimmer-pump....
OR I could take away 2" from the life rock area, add it to the intake, which would give the skimmer more space LOL

HELP PLEASE!!!!

Attachments

• image-3678848130.jpg
    image-3678848130.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 325
Anybody? Nobody? Would really appreciate some input an advice :,(

I wish I could help, I just bought a premade sump/refugium since I'm so new at them. :)

Do you have a section for the skimmer?

carey said:
I wish I could help, I just bought a premade sump/refugium since I'm so new at them. :)

Do you have a section for the skimmer?

Thx Carey :)
No, thats the problem. I'm not quiet sure how much space I would need. Wondering if I could just place it in the life rock rubble section with a sponge on the skimmer pump.
Doubt the intake part is gonna e pig enough for the filter sock, pipes AND a skimmer

Got a fish stocking question!
Currently I have a tomato clown in my 30g tank and once they 120g is set up he will be re-homed into the bigger one. I know adding a new clown to an existing tank with clown is a bad idea, but could I use the rehoming as a good opportunity to add a arcing clown? What about adding a black and white clown to a tomato clown? Are they gonna get along at all?

I have my double input and my skimmer jammed into my first compartment, not the best situation but it's do-able. lol

As far as adding a clown, I think you could, kinda depends on the clowns though. My regular oscellaris pair and my b&w pair didnt get along, but with just 2 clowns you probably stand a better chance. How big and how long have you have your tomato? Is he at all aggressive so far?

carey said:
I have my double input and my skimmer jammed into my first compartment, not the best situation but it's do-able. lol

As far as adding a clown, I think you could, kinda depends on the clowns though. My regular oscellaris pair and my b&w pair didnt get along, but with just 2 clowns you probably stand a better chance. How big and how long have you have your tomato? Is he at all aggressive so far?

Well... My boyfriend calls him "A**hole fish " (pardon my language but I'm just quoting LOL) because he is very protective of his fire-torch he is living in and fights over food... But it maybe bc it's just a 30g and space is limited?! So yes, he is aggressive :(

What are the dimensions of your first compartment? I planned on 8 x 11 3/4 but may make it 10 x 11 3/4 if that'll fit it.

THX FOR THE HELP CAREY

my first compartment is 14" X 11" by 16 inches high and my eshopps skimmer fits in a little sideways. Have I linked you the aquacave skimmer website? It has the skimmer dimensions so you can tell if the one you are looking at will work for you.

carey said:
my first compartment is 14" X 11" by 16 inches high and my eshopps skimmer fits in a little sideways. Have I linked you the aquacave skimmer website? It has the skimmer dimensions so you can tell if the one you are looking at will work for you.

Yes u did, but it is still hard to tell LOL
I will add some more space to the first compartment bc most of the have a base size 11x10 or something in that area.
Thx so much for checking :)

the rock rubble should be in your fuge, also where your intake is make that part of the fuge and where your fuge section is drawn make that your intake, with your skimmer and all.

the larger your fuge is the more micro,macro algaes you can have, and the more rock rubble you can have also. this will benifit your filtration more then having two small sections dedicated for your rock and for your algaes. also you can lower the flow to the fuge section and have the return section in the middle of your fuge and skimmer/intake chamber

Thx for the advice!

Problem is that I need Copepods. I can neither have the skimmer in the middle with the return pumps nor can the flow be too strong... That's why the fugue is at the other side

I decided to skip on the sand bed at the fugue and will have rocks there too

Sand bed of 3.5-4" will be in DT

yeah thats why i mean you can section off the fuge, and slow the flow rate there then have all the mechanical stuff on one side and high a higher flow there

well, my man cut my acrylic for me today :)
and we ordered our 2 Mag 7 pumps
ad base rock is to follow soon too (planning on 100 lb of base rock and then 20-50 lb of life rock)

Tomorrow I will fit together the sump, "glue" it and let is sit... and than move over to HD and Lowes and check out plumbing :)

Going to bed now... TOO EXCITED but maybe in my dreas I will have some more ideas/solutions for my sump

Gti_Leo said:
yeah thats why i mean you can section off the fuge, and slow the flow rate there then have all the mechanical stuff on one side and high a higher flow there

Ok, after a night of sleep (an thinking) I drew a new sketch of another sump I will go with. Thx for Leo's and Carey's help as I tried to incorporate their ideas :) Please give me ur opinions as I will be starting glueing today (bc I'm inpatient an I wanna get the ball rolling :D)

ALSO, what is a good macro algae that won't go sexual on me and ruin my tank ?!
So far all I can see is cheto but I don't want it to be the only one :-/

THX SO MUCH

Attachments

• image-2531585478.jpg
    image-2531585478.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 170
Looks good. I'm not one for understanding sketches real well especially those involving diy sumps, but it makes sense and looks right. :)

Thx Carey :)
Haven't glued anything yet bc it took me all day getting the sheets of acrylic right (sanding down sharp edges etc).
Will be working tomorrow night but hoping to glue them b4 I leave so they can cure for a while

Back
Top Bottom