First DIY sump/fuge

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

epaz

Aquarium Advice Activist
img_2868931_0_1aa23752f2ba7a47c66e11fafee4dfae.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Guys this is my first attempt at my own fuge/sump please critique as to whatever I haven't done right. The issue Im having is that I have to choke both my overflow and return way back so I have hardly any water movement. If I speed up the overflow it overflows my baffles if I choke back my return then it will overflow eventually. I have been experimenting for over a week now with no positive results. Each baffle pictured is 6" and the two that make up my middle section are 1" off the bottom. So what did I do wrong? Please I wont have hurt feelings I just want to make it right. Sorry if I did not do the picture right its only my 2nd time posting a picture on here.

Thanks

Post another picture. the first one didn't come through. What size sump is this and what size return pump are you using?

I'm not at my computer now but I will try that's wierd it comes through on my phone. It's a 30g standard tank and my return is a Rio 700 gph

I see it. You really don't need a bubble trap after the skimmer. The first partition is enough, then It looks like you are emptying the skimmer into the fuge area, correct? Put that pipe back where the skimmer is.
The third partition (the one after the refugium) will dictate the water height in there, and then the water should be going down under the last partition that is about 1" away and 1" above the one before it. A third low partition is sometimes used, but i don't find it necessary. See if any of that cures the problem.

Last edited:
I'm using photo bucket and using the link that it says to use for forums any other thoughts doug? Like I said it shows up fine here on my phone but like you said it doesn't show on the computer just a little black box with an x. Anything else I can try man?

I see it. You really don't need a bubble trap after the skimmer. The first partition is enough, then It looks like you are emptying the skimmer into the fuge area, correct? Put that pipe back where the skimmer is.
The third partition (the one after the refugium) will dictate the water height in there, and then the water should be going down under the last partition that is about 1" away and 1" above the one before it. A third low partition is sometimes used, but i don't find it necessary. See if any of that cures the problem.

Thanks doug I will try that so basically if I want my fuge deeper and to allow more flow I need to raise baffle 2 and 3 from the right? And could I maybe just add some plexiglass on top the existing baffles instead of tearing the whole thing apart? Also do I need a small powerhead in the fuge to "churn" my chaeto? I thought I heard somewhere it needs high flow to thrive.

Should I also remove the fine filter media in between the last baffles or is that good to stop any fine particles from going back to the DT. Sorrow for all the QA dude you just really seem to know your stuff !

I find it hard to believe that a 700 gph pump is overloading a hole that's 12" across and near 1" tall. Is that what's going on here? I'm thinking the partitions are too close together and that along with the skimmer drain, it's making the sump drain unevenly. I would much rather a filter sock in the skimmer compartment than some restricting filter floss towards the end. The pods are also going to have a tough time getting through that and you'll have to wash it out pretty frequently anyway. Any detritus that gets by the skimmer will sit in the intake area and fuge. No good IMO.

Last edited:
My partitions are 1" and yes if I don't choke back the pump at least halfway then it will suck it's chamber dry in less than a minute and if I don't choke the overflow halfway it will overflow everything as well. That's my dilemma because now my flow is shot to hell because everything is choked up.

Well, remove the floss, and move the skimmer drain. Remove the 2nd panel after the skimmer compartment (the one water must travel under in order to get to the refugium) See if that does the trick.

Back
Top Bottom