Originally Posted by Sniperhank
But this is all saltwater, there are limits to how far it can drop. Even then it can function without issues. A sudden drop or increase of any level in a running/established system can be a problem, but during a cycle it won't harm anything.
You are also correct when it comes to substrate. Many of the substrates we use are a natural buffer with our ph. So, the magic number is 8.3, with an alk
drop you will never see it at 6, for example. A 'drop' really isn't much of a drop and would only be a worry in an established system for sensitive inverts that won't be involved in a cycle anyway unless a hitchhiker from live rock or something.
Then when it comes to FOWLR
systems, most don't even think about testing things like alk
compared to those of us with reef systems. In the reef, alk
is probably the most important element to monitor.
Yes I apologise. I am posting in a section I hold limited knowledge of but the thread was regarding cycling which is something that is attributed in both fresh and saltwater systems and I was focussing on the water change/no water change debate and why it is important to change water in other systems. I was just trying to point out that the variables in any system are so large that it's difficult to say that what may occur for one person will be the same for the next.
Me and a fellow member were conducting cycling experiments because the latter was adamant that water changes were unnecessary. She dosed 16ppm ammonia in one go as a set and forget but the tank only made it a week or so before the addition of baking soda was required.
You are right. None of it really matters in a fishless cycle.
I have seen posts where a small tank stocked with goldfish has seen a decline in ph to the point where the bacteria cease to function. The ammonia created up until that point was in the non toxic ammonium form because of the low ph so the fish were in no danger. What happened was, the poster did a water change which diluted the ammonia but due to the ph shift the ammonia that was left became toxic and was still high enough to kill the fish. The drastic change in ph wouldn't have done them any good in the first place.
You are right though, this is salt (which I realised later) and this issue is much less likely to be seen but the danger does still exist in systems. Better to be aware?
I will go back to my fresh friends now lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice