Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-17-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

What brand of tests do you suggest? I just spent 80 bucks in all of these API testers. It would start cycling weeks after I set it up? I had 0 ammonia up until real recently.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:25 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

I use red sea. Believe me i wouldnt have spent the money if i didnt have to. I have fresh water aslo. Works ok for that. Im cycling my dry live rock now. It took 13 weeks to finish. You made a mistake everybody does. But you cant add that many fish in that short period of time. It sucks you spent money and need to spend more money on the same thing. But think of it as a learning experience. You probable need to use "prime" or some other brand of ammonia detox. To keep fish alive for now. But when you use them they will throw off your test kit readings. Cheapest way is to try and remove some fish for now if possible. Let tank cycle for six more weeks. And slowly add one fish a month back.you might be able to get buy by leaving the in the tank but you might lose a few more. I did a stupid mistake a few years back by trying to treat sick fish in tank. Wiped out my bacteria. Had i mini cycle and it took six weeks to get the tank back to normal. Still lost the sick fish. And almost every other one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Old 02-17-2014, 07:29 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

I treated yesterday with Amquel. Which is the same as prime. I'm hoping to make it through this without too much more die off. I also have freshwater tanks and have always used the API tests so I assumed they were good for saltwater also so I bought all of them. Crap!! Lol
Old 02-17-2014, 08:06 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The only tests I trust api for are ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Oh and ph usually.

I use salifert tests for alkalinity, magnesium and calcium.

Your tank is not cycling again, pe se, it is going through a spike due to the number of fish added so quickly. Keep testing, dosing the amquel and doing water changes and you should be fine. This could go on for a couple weeks though so be prepared. Just do some water changes whenever you can.
Old 02-17-2014, 08:09 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

look at the bottles. There is no difference between their salt water or fresh water. When i was cycling my rock the nitrate reading between api and red sea could be off by as much as 30 ppm. Im thinking your ammonia is prob. Higher than .25 . I would also cut back on feeding maybe a little every other day or every third day. Till you tank is right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 02-17-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Has anyone had any experience with the Hanna ammonia checker?
Old 02-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Its not for saltwater, just freshwater right now
Old 02-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

The Amquel bottle suggests dosing once a day....is that valid?

Tags
dyi, dying, fish

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com