Fish or Coral you would NOT recommend

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

c0mf0rt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I thought maybe this could be a useful topic for newcommers and anyone thinking of going out to get something new.

A way to share our not so well known experiences all in one place.

Although it is still doing well, I've got one to start things off

1. GONIOPORA
2. Decorator Crab (vicious towards other inverts)
3. Damsels to start a tank (they're tough to get out later, quick lil suckers)

sandsifting star in small tank. i learned the hard way that there is not enough to eat and they dont seem to target feed well

steve r

Tangs in anything less than a 75 gallon tank. 125 preferred.

Covering your tank so you don't get carpet surfers (lost my first clown that way) (ok, its not a fish or coral, but hey, important to know! :))

Moorish Idols, (Finding Nemo was a fictional film.)
Mandrins (in anything less than a 1 year old tank with less than 100 lbs of rock. This is my #1 issue.)
Batfish,
Sharks and rays/skates,
Ribbon eels,
Sea Apples and Sea Cucumbers (buyer beware. they are DEADLY)
Clowns in anything less than a 10 gallon.
Puffers and Clowns together (Finding Nemo was a fictional film.)
Damsels as a "Cycling Fish" (Fishless cycle works fine. Damsels deserve better.)

anemones in a new tank!!!!!!!!!!! and adding anemones before their nutirtional,lighting, and water flow requirements are understood and provided for by the buyer!!!

thats really the main issue i have.

Galaxy coral (they have a very long sweeper and will kill anything within range)

I agree Rocket!! :lol: Nemo is a perc. clown. Stop calling them Nemo fish. I am afraid that movie killed a lot of percs and hippo tangs. Sharks, rays and octos should not be kept in the home tank.

Disagree with octopus. They're similiar to seahorses in the ability to keep healthy in captivity. As long as you take the time and research to care properly for their special needs, they'll be be fine in captivity. :D

As long as you take the time and research to care properly for their special needs, they'll be be fine in captivity.

Thats the issue. 99% of the people whom purchase them dont do the above.

Sweetlips, emperor snappers, pilot fish, and any other fish that get 2-3ft. People think oh wow that fish is cute and buy it. A lot LFS"s won't tell them the fish reaches an incredibly large size.

Elegance coral - until somebody figures out what is going on, or you can find a healthy one that's been in a tank for at least a month.

cleaner wrasse - even thought I'm hypocrytical and got a bicolor one. It's actually doing very well so far eating beef heart loaded with selcon and starting to nibble on prime reef flakes. Most people don't realize the importance of keeping these fish in the reefs and don't realize they normally won't eat prepared foods.

Any shark that gets bigger than 3ft because most people buy them and cram them into a small tank while they are young not realizing how much room they need when they grow up.

Various nudibranchs that usually starve to death in a matter of week/months becasue we cannot replicate whatever it is they eat.

Moorish Idols
Sharks
Mandarins (even though I really want one)
keeping multiple angels in a small tank
Snappers and SweetLips
No Lions in with Nemos. :wink: I had to put that in.
Cowfish or Boxfish

I agree with the elegence coral. I had two die in a matter of weeks for no apparent reason. My third, however, is doing great and has been for months now. It has almost doubled in size.

Groupers in small tanks. That really peeves me.

Most triggerfish - Not for community tanks (my queen killed my picasso) and should be kept alone (bluechin trigger is the closest thing to an exception)

Seahorses/Pipefish - ABSOLUTELY NOT FOR BEGINNERS!!! Too many newbies fall in love and get carried away (I learned the hard way).

Rays/Sharks

Back
Top Bottom