Flame angel , harlequin tusk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just requested these from my Lfs , and I am adding them to my reef tank tomorrow , getting to the point how are they in a reef tank ? I've seen both of them in reef tanks but I want to know personal experiences

The angel is iffy, it may or may not eat corals.

Now, the tusk is another story. LOL it will eat your inverts for sure and is not reef safe. :-(

How big of a tank are you working with? I know i wanted to add a tusk to my 90g fish only system but it's iffy as far as being big enough.

Even though some sites, like liveAquaria, say Tusks are reef safe "with caution", I've never heard of anyone having one in a reef tank. Even if the tank was big, it seems like they would not work. Most sites agree that they are ok in FOWLRs, but you will see everything from 55min to 120g min requirements. I'd think 120g for an adult, but smaller would probably be ok in something like a 90g. The one we had years ago in a 120g FOWLR cruised in and around the rocks, but did not do any flying from one end of the tank to the other like most wrasses do.

Ok so , I heard the angel is a hit or miss and I am willing to take that risk haha , and I know the harlequin tusk is very reef safe but not invert safe and that's why I am going to add him ,because my tank has no inverts , and my tank is very peaceful so he will be the most aggressive fish and last fish to add , I am purchasing him as small as 1 inch and I am adding him to my 60 gallon reef/ no inverts , I also have tiny baby tangs and anthias , and when they out grow it , I'm getting a 300 gallon haha

Tangs. Depends on params and feeding though. They can go from 3-6" in a year. Most fish can grow at a decent rate, depends in feeding though. So can the tusk.

This is from the AquaticCommunity site...and goes totally contrary with adding the Tusk last ( which generally is the way to go)...interesting...

The Harlequin tuskfish lives in groups in the wild...it is best to only keep one fish in the same tank. They are best kept with other moderately aggressive fish such as Angels, Tangs, and Triggers. Make sure to introduce the tuskfish before the Angels, Tangs, and Triggers as they otherwise might bully the Harlequin tuskfish. Harlequin tuskfish are not reef safe and should never be kept in a reef aquarium. If they are kept in a reef aquarium they will eat all small invertebrates they can find. They usually leave corals and clams alone.

I've had tangs for years and they don't grow to fast but tank has no inverts so I think I'm good to go thank you for all the help !!

Back
Top Bottom