Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-26-2012, 10:13 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Okay well he is wrong about the clown. I have one, the exact one he mentioned and he swims alot. If he was in a 6 gallon life would be horrible for him. The anenome is a BAD idea UNTIL your tank is 8 months old. They need an established tank, and if the parameters are bad they will die, realeasing a deadly toxin and possible kill everything in the tank. I dont know what els to say about the stocking, you will probably do whatever you want.

About the cycling, you made the right move. You can cycle a tank with live rock an it is very easy. I would throw in some mysis shrimp though, it cycles faster

Old 03-26-2012, 10:31 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel View Post
Okay well he is wrong about the clown. I have one, the exact one he mentioned and he swims alot. If he was in a 6 gallon life would be horrible for him. The anenome is a BAD idea UNTIL your tank is 8 months old. They need an established tank, and if the parameters are bad they will die, realeasing a deadly toxin and possible kill everything in the tank. I dont know what els to say about the stocking, you will probably do whatever you want.

About the cycling, you made the right move. You can cycle a tank with live rock an it is very easy. I would throw in some mysis shrimp though, it cycles faster
OK I'm not disregarding what you're saying, I'm not hellbent on a clown, I honestly dont even want one. Im just repeating what he said to me. I would rather have something else not commonly seen.

As far as the anemone, again, its not something I'm determined to have....This is why I'm on the saltwater forums, to learn what works and what doesnt. If this was freshwater, I wouldnt even need to ask, but this saltwater stuff is new. Honestly my interest level in saltwater is close to none. I feel like its a lot of extra work for no reason, but I'm willing to give it a shot for my gf, she loves these things.

Anyone have suggestions on lighting mods for this tank?

Old 03-26-2012, 10:46 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

My biggest concern for an Edge as a reef tank (aside from the inadequate stock lighting, of which you are already aware) would be poor gas exchange from the covered tank design. I used to keep a pico softy tank in a 2.5 gallon Minibow and I ended up having to remove the lid and hang a light fixture over the tank because the pH would drop too low. Poor gas exchange will cause this. pH should be 8.2-8.4 iirc, and mine would drop into the 7's with the lid on. Problem solved once I removed it.

Two clown gobies is not a good idea IMO for a 6 gallon. Stick with one or maybe try another small "sedentary" goby like the hi fin banded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu-Nu the eel

An anemone in ANY 6 gallon tank is a bad idea IMO, regardless of how old the tank is.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:24 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well I guess I'll put the stocking on hold right now and worry about what lighting I'm going to need. I already have the live rock and sand, I just need to know what I need light wise, and what variety of corals I can put in. I have a lot of surface area for them, so I would like to get a nice covering with different kinds.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:48 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by severum mama

Two clown gobies is not a good idea IMO for a 6 gallon. Stick with one or maybe try another small "sedentary" goby like the hi fin banded.
Two 1" fish can that aren't active at all in a 6g? I don't see any problems with that unless it's a bioload issue which also is unlikely granted he adds them at separate times.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:50 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also you can cycle with the liverock he gave you, there will be die-off which will in turn produce ammonia. The ammonia may not be enough so you can add ammo by using pure hardware.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:53 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You would have more options if you bought a generic 10 gal, for $10.
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
Also you can cycle with the liverock he gave you, there will be die-off which will in turn produce ammonia. The ammonia may not be enough so you can add ammo by using pure hardware.
I dosed 3ppm, anticipating some die off that he talked about earlier. I figured between everything thats in there right now, I should be ok for the time being.

My concern now is just the lighting. I have read that I can replace the stock lights with MR16 15LED 240 lumen lights just by giving them a little push into the socket. Would that be sufficient light for moderate light corals? I was also thinking of getting a small strip of blue LEDs for moonlights and sticking them to the light rig. thoughts?
Old 03-27-2012, 12:40 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishN00b83

I dosed 3ppm, anticipating some die off that he talked about earlier. I figured between everything thats in there right now, I should be ok for the time being.

My concern now is just the lighting. I have read that I can replace the stock lights with MR16 15LED 240 lumen lights just by giving them a little push into the socket. Would that be sufficient light for moderate light corals? I was also thinking of getting a small strip of blue LEDs for moonlights and sticking them to the light rig. thoughts?
TBH I've got no clue on fluval lighting so idk..... But check this tank out. He used mr11's
Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrahim

Two 1" fish can that aren't active at all in a 6g? I don't see any problems with that unless it's a bioload issue which also is unlikely granted he adds them at separate times.
They can be territorial toward one another and may fight. A 6 gallon certainly doesn't afford them much room for territories. The OP has stated more than once in this thread that he doesn't want to have to worry about this tank. Why not take the conservative approach? You don't have to cram fish into a tiny tank just because it's theoretically possible. Just sayin.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fluval, fluval edge, nano, nano reef, reef, val

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com