Fluval Edge nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They can be territorial toward one another and may fight. A 6 gallon certainly doesn't afford them much room for territories. The OP has stated more than once in this thread that he doesn't want to have to worry about this tank. Why not take the conservative approach? You don't have to cram fish into a tiny tank just because it's theoretically possible. Just sayin.

Well maybe that's him but others who may read this thread may take it that it isn't possible while still keeping them happy.

They can be territorial with one another and fight, as I mentioned. That's the kind of info that someone starting out with a small tank should read IMO. I doubt they would be "happy" if they are fighting each other for territories.

I dont think the OP is even interested in a clown goby... I think we should listen to what he likes :)

clown gobys are cool...Im just focusing on one thing at a time. I want to get the lighting down first, then pick out some corals, then worry about stocking the tank. It gives me time to research the fish more and see what works/looks the best. Im really keeping my gf in my mind the whole time. This tank is for her, so im trying to make it something she will like. She loves bright colors, and lots of them. So my stock selection and my corals should reflect that. I just want to order the lighting and get that out of the way, then take the next step. Any help/advice would be appreciated. The video that Ibrahim posted has an awesome setup. Does anyone know where to get those MR11 bulbs?

clown gobys are cool...Im just focusing on one thing at a time. I want to get the lighting down first, then pick out some corals, then worry about stocking the tank. It gives me time to research the fish more and see what works/looks the best. Im really keeping my gf in my mind the whole time. This tank is for her, so im trying to make it something she will like. She loves bright colors, and lots of them. So my stock selection and my corals should reflect that. I just want to order the lighting and get that out of the way, then take the next step. Any help/advice would be appreciated. The video that Ibrahim posted has an awesome setup. Does anyone know where to get those MR11 bulbs?

www.LEDwholesalers.com

Sooo...I tested the water today, and I got the following...

I dosed 3ppm and went to sleep...today this happened:
ammonia 1ppm
nitrite 5+ppm
nitrAte 80+ppm

I'm assuming this is because of all the live rock, live sand, and live water i bought from the LFS. My question is, what the hell do I do at this point? Even if I do a 100% water change it's not going to bring the trites and trates down to a normalish kind of level. Does anyone have any suggestions here? I dont have a RO/DI system, I dont have any salt, and I'm clueless...EEP!

Dude, you are cycling the tank. You will have to wait for at least a month until everything is good! Then do your waterchange and then add livestock. Just buy saltwater rodi from the lfs. Its cheap and easy

lol I am fully aware I am cycling the tank, but my trAte levels are EXTREMELY high, which could stall it all together,...unless saltwater can just ignore the through the roof trAte readings because of the magical cycling fairy...

I am looking for help here, not these kind of responses you've been offering lately

Trates get high! I dont even know why you tested, there is really no point right now, but you can if you want. You have live rock and (did you throw some food in there?) if so, then i wouldnt even test.

So you're telling me the ammonia starting a 3ppm (i dosed with ace) and dropping to 1ppm in less then 24 hours is completely normal...and the fact that my nitrAtes are over 80ppm right now isnt going to stall my cycle? I just started this tank yesterday...If this was freshwater, you wouldnt get readings like this for close to 2 weeks and I would need to be making crazy amounts of water changes so my cycle wouldnt stall out.

Its possible that your cycle went crazy fast mainly because you added the rock and ammonia at the same time. Some people have cycled their tank in 1 week, hopefully that is happening to you! I never do waterchanges during the cycle.

FishN00b83 said:
So you're telling me the ammonia starting a 3ppm (i dosed with ace) and dropping to 1ppm in less then 24 hours is completely normal...and the fact that my nitrAtes are over 80ppm right now isnt going to stall my cycle? I just started this tank yesterday...If this was freshwater, you wouldnt get readings like this for close to 2 weeks and I would need to be making crazy amounts of water changes so my cycle wouldnt stall out.

The liverock you bought has bacteria in it already so it's not unusual. Ignore the nitrate and test the nitrite and ammo. When you get zero for both of those then worry bout trates.

My water is kind of cloudy. I thought this was because everything needed to settle more, but I guess it could be a bacterial bloom?

Technically if you add enough live rock to the tank could you instantly cycle?

FishN00b83 said:
My water is kind of cloudy. I thought this was because everything needed to settle more, but I guess it could be a bacterial bloom?

Technically if you add enough live rock to the tank could you instantly cycle?

Cloudy... Probably from the sand? Some people have HUGE sand storms in their tanks, fortunatly i never had one. I doubt its a bacterial bloom, the tank isnt old enough yet. And ya adding lots of live rock will make you cycle faster, but it wont be instant because BB needs to build up everywhere like the filter, sandbed etc. i hope you are one of the lucky few who has a quick cycle

Honestly I have no idea whats going on right now lol. It could be sand, it could be the boogie man messing with me, it could be anything. I'm just going to watch the ammonia and trites and wait for them to drop.

I did add a lot of live rock for a 6g tank ill post a pic in a second

Ibrahim said:
You can have an instant cycle from just rock. I had one with my 150g and Carey with her 90g

How is that possible? It needs to build up right? That must be alot of live rock

Here is a pic

Attachments

• image-1480901715.jpg
    image-1480901715.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 89
  • image-505914222.jpg
    image-505914222.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 98
Back
Top Bottom