Fluval Edge nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Idk I'm just worried about the cycle and the coral right now...once I get that out of the way I'll start thinking about stock

Idk if you guys can see this...but it looks like something is growing out of the crack in the rock. Looks like a lil octopus or something lol...that's the only way I can describe it.

Attachments

• image-382180654.jpg
    image-382180654.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 110
  • image-1055276638.jpg
    image-1055276638.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 127
You probably have something like a coral or starfish hanging on for the ride! I personally don't know what it is. I can't see it lol

doing some research it has too many appendages to be a starfish...I think it could be aiptasia...and from what I'm hearing, thats not such a good thing lol. Is it possible that things would start to grow in my tank even though its not cycled?

Sorry to get off topic with your build, but MABJ, I've read that blue hermits are opportunistic eaters, I know damsels are really aggressive (although idk if it would matter b/c that would be your only fish. And I know that sexy shrimp are really small and unusual, but beautiful. If you haven's seen them you should because they are quite the eye-catchers!

I see! Well I've only read threads, I know damsels bully other fish (hence the only fish)

I'm not sure what you mean by blue legged hermits? I thought they only ate leftovers/debris. Not corals/living fish.

And I love shrimp and crabs all over. Inverts are my passion :p

Fishnoob, thanks so much for starting this thread! I've been wanting a tiny saltwater tank for years, but everybody but the LFS deters me from it. Once I have a permanent resident, I will most certainly be making my own pico reef.

Keep up the work! I'm following!

I'd never discourage someone from starting a nano tank. My first SW was a 2.5 gallon. It can certainly be done, and even done on a budget as mine was. I'd discourage starting it in an Edge- as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the closed design is almost sure to cause pH issues, which is what we're seeing now.

@Fishnoob83- Aren't you using aragonite sand already (your live sand that you got from lfs)? This will help buffer your water already, as well as the salt mix. Adding crushed coral probably won't do anything. The problem here IMO is the design of the tank.

I bet. What is the one fish? People are wrong, there are a host of nano fishes you could keep

I never said that it wasn't possible to keep a fish in this tank, only that it is a bad idea to put 2 clown gobies (which, again, can be territorial with each other) into a tank this small- and I stand by that, it's a bad idea. I think one clown goby would be fine. Another good choice IMO would be a hi fin banded goby or similar. In a tank this small you are really limited as to fish selection. Clowns and other damsels are not a good idea. Pretty much the only fish I would recommend would be small gobies that aren't very active. I personally wouldn't even stock a fish that grows to the size of a YWG, but would stick to the smallest gobies as options.

Severum, none of my comments were towards you :) You're always very helpful and never inaccurate.

severum mama said:
I'd never discourage someone from starting a nano tank. My first SW was a 2.5 gallon. It can certainly be done, and even done on a budget as mine was. I'd discourage starting it in an Edge- as I mentioned earlier in the thread, the closed design is almost sure to cause pH issues, which is what we're seeing now.

@Fishnoob83- Aren't you using aragonite sand already (your live sand that you got from lfs)? This will help buffer your water already, as well as the salt mix. Adding crushed coral probably won't do anything. The problem here IMO is the design of the tank.

I never said that it wasn't possible to keep a fish in this tank, only that it is a bad idea to put 2 clown gobies (which, again, can be territorial with each other) into a tank this small- and I stand by that, it's a bad idea. I think one clown goby would be fine. Another good choice IMO would be a hi fin banded goby or similar. In a tank this small you are really limited as to fish selection. Clowns and other damsels are not a good idea. Pretty much the only fish I would recommend would be small gobies that aren't very active. I personally wouldn't even stock a fish that grows to the size of a YWG, but would stick to the smallest gobies as options.

Not saying others won't but I have never had ph issues but have heard the small top doesn't provide proper gas exchange mines been going over a year no problems yet hopefully it stays like that... Should my black banded chromis find a new home though or is he fine he seems happy but who knows lol

My ammonia is dropping really fast now. Its going from 3ppm to 0ppm in close to 24 hours, but my trItes are still off the charts, I dont even want to know what my trAtes are lol. An other thing is most of my live rock is white now (I know it's die off), I was just wonderings if that was normal.

What is that white string looking thing hanging down the back?

Attachments

• image-3104477020.jpg
    image-3104477020.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 137
Ammonia is dropping 3-0ppm in 24 hours and my nitrItes dropped to ~2ppm (at least its at a readable level). It looks like I could be close to the end. I dosed back up to 3ppm and I'm gonna see what happens tomorrow.

Hopefully my LED lights get here before the weekend...I'll take pics once I get them over the tank.

I just tested the tank...ammonia 0, nitrites .25. I just dosed back up to 3 and ill test tomorrow night...Hopefully its cycled.

The LED fixture is done, I'm picking it up tomorrow night so I'll install it and take pictures when I'm done!

Unless the ammonia and nitrItes are 0ppm, the cycle is not over. When they both go to 0ppm, big water change and you are ready for critters. DO NOT ADD anything until both are 0ppm!

Well, I just tested the tank...ammonia 0ppm, nitrite 0ppm, nitrate OFF THE CHARTS lol. Looks like the tank is cycled and I'm about to get the light in an hour. I just redosed back up to 3ppm because I'll be away until sunday late afternoon (hopefully its ok to leave it for a day without ammonia). Im going to to 2 100% water changes when I get back and then goto the LFS and see what I can get.

I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 fire shrimp, 2 or 3 electric blue hermit crabs, and a set of: clown gobys, hi fin gobys, or firefish of some kind. Is that decent?

I just ordered 1 Fire Shrimp, 1 Dwarf Zebra Hermit Crab, and 2 Nassarius Vibex Snails from LiveAquaria.com. They'll be here sometime tomorrow!! I also found a oc Clown breeder in Flushing, right by me that has a 1", 5th generation tank bred clown that I'm going to put in. He has a 15g rimless hes looking to get rid of. So for another 10 bucks he said I can have the tank, so if/when the fish gets too big, I can just setup the other tank and pick up another clown.

I'm still stuck on what corals to put in, so I'm gonna go down to the LFS and see what they have.

The clown might very well outsize the tank depending on a few factors, but very cool. Getting new fish is fun :D

Back
Top Bottom