Fluval Edge nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I found something for my tank by WingoLEDs called "savior". It's a 12w replacement system that fits under the fluval hood so it looks stock. Apparently I have enough light to grow just about any corals I could think of. It has daytime/moonlighting, and the guy that makes them lives a few miles away. Hopefully I can pick one up this week and get everything going. I'm just waiting for him to call me back.

Sounds great, can't wait to see what happens. I know that mushrooms (low light corals) can be beautiful like the blue, purple, and neon greens. Personally, I don't like brownish or yellowish coral because it blends in with the rock. Corals that pop and catch your eye are well worth the money. I'll be following :p

Yeah I've been reading up on corals A LOT to see what I'm willing to deal with. I dont know how much I want to get into hand feeding, but I guess I'll see what happens.

I just looked at the tank, and I feel like the white is spreading pretty wildly...I'm reading in some places that I should have my lights on for some part of the day...Is this true at all? Right now I dont have them on at all..

FishN00b83 said:
Yeah I've been reading up on corals A LOT to see what I'm willing to deal with. I dont know how much I want to get into hand feeding, but I guess I'll see what happens.

I just looked at the tank, and I feel like the white is spreading pretty wildly...I'm reading in some places that I should have my lights on for some part of the day...Is this true at all? Right now I dont have them on at all..

Just leave em off to prevent excess algae growth

FishN00b83 said:

you must get some yellow colony polyps they are bright yellow super hardy they spread quick and require low light

Marquis said:
you must get some yellow colony polyps they are bright yellow super hardy they spread quick and require low light

I happen to like a lot of polyps. I'm realizing that the corals can start to cost some serious money. Do they eventually die like fish do, or are they like plants in the way that as long as they get what they need, they'll live?

FishN00b83 said:
I happen to like a lot of polyps. I'm realizing that the corals can start to cost some serious money. Do they eventually die like fish do, or are they like plants in the way that as long as they get what they need, they'll live?

As long as they get what they need, they'll live

Fishnoob, thanks so much for starting this thread! I've been wanting a tiny saltwater tank for years, but everybody but the LFS deters me from it. Once I have a permanent resident, I will most certainly be making my own pico reef.

Keep up the work! I'm following!

As long as they get what they need, they'll live

Nice thats what I was hoping for...Some of them are EXPENSIVE man.

Fishnoob, thanks so much for starting this thread! I've been wanting a tiny saltwater tank for years, but everybody but the LFS deters me from it. Once I have a permanent resident, I will most certainly be making my own pico reef.

Keep up the work! I'm following!

Yeah, a lot of people on here will advise against it. Looking around elsewhere, a lot of people do it, and they look AWESOME. My plan is to have one fish, two shrimp, and a snail of some sort. I'm going to make the focal point the coral, so that's really where 90% of my research is going. I ordered the LED fixture (it cost me 300 bucks) and I should have it mid next week. I'm about to buy the 50w Rena Smartheater as I type and a powerhead of some kind (maybe the Hydor Koralinia nano 240?).

I am a little concerned about the pH as it looks to be around 7.4-7.8. Can I control the pH in this tank like I can in my freshwater tank with crushed coral? I know I have very low pH and kH from my tap, and Ive been topping off the Edge with de-chlorinated (with prime) tap water. I'm thinking this is why its a little low. Should I worry about this at all right now?

Dude! That breaks the bank, but yes they seem sooo cool. I'm in college now, but I will be setting up several FW and SW when I have a home. I like micro tanks because I'm fascinated with crabs and shrimp.

My ideal tank would be blue hermits and cleaner shrimp. Maybe a singular blue damsel. Idk, I love crabs tho.

Yeah well, you wanna know whats really going to break the bank?...I'm thinking of buying a Vortech MP10 instead of the Koralia. I'm also thinking of buying a small 25w heater from Hong Kong that I can stuff in the AC20 instead of having that Rena heater taking up valuable space. This nano is going to be WAY more expensive then my big FW tank...FML lol

I bet. What is the one fish? People are wrong, there are a host of nano fishes you could keep

Carey has a great list. She doesn't know me. I just creep all her tank threads ;P.

Back
Top Bottom