Fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

solo

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone was wondering since my planning and when plan to setting up my tank, do I have to wait to start with clown fish tangs. Do I start with damsels or chromis can I setup a refugium my plan is micro algae refugium, I want to setup once but right still planning slow reading book the reef aquarium volume 3. Something interesting I read said minimum size tank for tang is 100 gallon won't it be stressful to them length of tank I think a 100g doesn't come in 72 inches can I be wrong still planning on 150 gallon tank, was wondering your opinion advice suggestion these questions thanks.

I added a pair of P Clowns as my first fish - but I cycled my tank first using raw shrimp from the butcher and a few pieces of LR from the LFS. If the tank is cycled, you can add them first with no problems. If you add damsels, and then want to add other fish down the road, it can be difficult to catch damsels without tearing up the tank.

You can setup a refugium. Are you planning a sump for the tank or just a HOB refugium? You want to grow MACRO algae, not micro. I grow chaeto in mine and it works like a champ - my nitrates have never been detectable.

As far as tangs, there are species that are suitable for tanks of less than 100 gallons. Most species do need quite a bit of room as they get big and are active fish. With a 150, you will be fine to house several varieties of Tangs, and probably will be fine with mixing a few different species in the tank. Just research and plan ahead - don't go to the LFS and buy fish, and THEN research their temperament, requirements, etc.

Good Luck! :)

Fort384 I'm planning on a 150 gallon tank refugium macro algae chaeto was one that I was thinking of growing. I ask if I setup tank for reef setup can I add corals right after fish, I want setup tank once but right with good equipment also. Are chromis hard to catch like damsels that I hear of. I not shore if it's to fast to add croaks I know tank must cycle first that's why I'm planning and taking it slow. Still slow on fish list love tanga but want others I was told go to liveaquaria for fish compatabilty , just I was wondering for die with years with hobby advice cause I want tank to be ready for corals have lighting everything needed for reef setup thanks.

Hi again can I do a fowlr for a while. Then add corals invertebrate, buy lighting for when I add corals exctra or can I have lighting setup already. Comments advice please

Thanks everyone, and do you need a powerheads for a fowlr tank I want to do a mixed reef after I get used to fowlr for a while any advice will be appreciated.

Thanks everyone, and do you need a powerheads for a fowlr tank I want to do a mixed reef after I get used to fowlr for a while any advice will be appreciated.

Yes. You'll need PHs. Fr a FOWLR you'll need 10-30x turnover rate, so not as much as a reef.

Beengirl I don't understand what you explaining phs, fri get advice about powerhead

You'll need powerheads. For FOWLR you'll need 10-30x per hour turnover, including all your pumps, filter, phs. So for a 100g, you'd want 1000-3000gph turnover rate. For reef it's 30-50x per hour.

Back
Top Bottom