Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madcrazyroyboy
Don't do reef till you are experienced with salt fish first..

I disagree with this completely. She has done freshwater for a while now I'm sure, and during the cycle shell know everything she doesn't know right now. I'm sure she knows the basics, and the more complex stuff doesn't really need to be known when your first starting. It's not like shell be adding tons of sps at first, it will probably be a few zoas, then maybe a shroom, the easier things.

It's good to do some live rock, a lot of base. It makes it less likely youll get a nasty hitchhiker, you won't deal with having to buy pure ammonia, and it will help seed your tank. It will make you tank look really white with a few dark pieces though, but that fades after 3 months. I did a 1:4 ratio.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorecowbell

I disagree with this completely. She has done freshwater for a while now I'm sure, and during the cycle shell know everything she doesn't know right now. I'm sure she knows the basics, and the more complex stuff doesn't really need to be known when your first starting. It's not like shell be adding tons of sps at first, it will probably be a few zoas, then maybe a shroom, the easier things.

It's good to do some live rock, a lot of base. It makes it less likely youll get a nasty hitchhiker, you won't deal with having to buy pure ammonia, and it will help seed your tank. It will make you tank look really white with a few dark pieces though, but that fades after 3 months. I did a 1:4 ratio.
This guy right here ^ nailed it right. Go right in to it you already have everything... though u van go without skimmer for a while i would recommend shortly after u have added a few fish and purchase the live rock to seed the tank.. fast and efficient. For skimmer octopus makes a great hob in the 200 range which requires no adjustments just plug and play.

Old 07-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mature tobys may terrorize the whole tank. Dont be sad if it doesnt work out. They are your only option for puffers in your tank.
Old 07-12-2012, 11:48 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I'll bypass on the puffer for now until i can get a larger tank. How fast do the porcupines grow?

I do have experience with salt, just in tanks over 100,000g. I used to be a lead aquarist for the local aquarium. The home tanks are a different beast though which is where my learning curve is.
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:21 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

They don't grow that fast . My buddy was 2-3 inches last year when I got him and he is 6 inches now. he is in a 180 and I'm constantly looking for a bigger tank for him.
^ Quoted from Porc Chop^
Hondatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 12:25 PM   #26
Aquarium Advice Freak

It would probably be ok to start out with some mushrooms and zoas since they are pretty easy. Maybe a toadstool leather under t5s would be nice. And your not waiting as long for them to grow. Or try a kenya. I would avoid somthing like Xenia since they can get really outta control.
Old 07-12-2012, 12:28 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by skywhitney
I'll bypass on the puffer for now until i can get a larger tank. How fast do the porcupines grow?

I do have experience with salt, just in tanks over 100,000g. I used to be a lead aquarist for the local aquarium. The home tanks are a different beast though which is where my learning curve is.
Georgia aquarium is like 8 million gallons altogether. I can only imagine how much salt they use.
Old 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist

That is a great deal on sand and live rock! There are smaller puffers that you could put in a 70 gallon. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/a...es.cfm?c=15+39

I really want a porcupine but we can't guarantee we will be able to up grade (ours is 75 gal) to a 125+ by the time he gets to big.

I personally would start with fish first before corals. You could get reef safe fish first. Then you wouldn't have to get another tank or find new homes for your fish. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2012, 04:38 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

well the puffer idea is out. I'll just have to use it as an excuse to get yet another tank in the future (my wife will love that lol )

I have been looking around and i think that i'm going to stick with soft corals, inverts, safe fish for this kind of tank (fish will come in time), pretty nice and basic stuff. I'm just looking for a relatively "easy" and "lowish maintenance" setup (I classify anything under 10 hours/week easy and lowish maintence)
skywhitney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Idk, once you start seeing the nicer sps frags, you might change your mind. A softie tank is cool, There are some colorful leather corals and I love the look of toadstool. You can find zoas for really low prices now and almost all of them are stunning. I just got some neon green clove polyps that are nice too.. But why not try some frogspawn to get a little more movement in the tank? Also, montipora, digitata, and acropora youngei (green slimer) are all easy to keep sps that bring the look of a reef to your aquarium.

needmorecowbell is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com