Freshy thinking of taking the plunge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No problem, but you can't use some tests out of a fw kit in sw. I know ph can't, but I think the trate trite and ammo are able to.

so i'm just going to use my existing API kit for teh basics (PH, Ammo, Trites, Trates)

Recommended brands for Mag, Ca, Alk tests?

With corals that have a calcium carbonate skeleton, very. Alkalinity is carbon atoms. What's calcium carbonate? Half calcium, half carbon. So, if your only testing calcium, your only seeing half of what the coral needs.

Lps and sps do, softies don't. So yeah, a pretty good amount. Just keep on researching, it'll clear up. Took me a steady 2 years learning stuff lol.

I'm not looking for any crazy corals in my tank just simple "pretty"ones as my gf would put it. Just trying to Get a feel for what I need as my tank progresses.

Pretty is really different to a lot of people. I love sps and only a few softies, some people are the opposite. You could make a build thread and youd get a lot more help on this, there a bunch of really intelligent people on the subject who would love to help.

skywhitney said:
I'm debating on whether or not to take the salt plunge right now. I figured I'd start asking a bunch of questions to help figure out what to do.

My initial concern is equipment. Currently my planted tank setup includes:
70g tank
Aqueon proflex Model 3 sump
CPR CS90 overflow
Rio 2100 return pump
Fluval E300 and E250 heaters
Hydor 425 Powerhead
Maxijet 2500(?) powerhead
Wavepoint Quad T5 light (i still have the Actinic and 10000K bulbs)

What else would I need to get a reef tank started?

Quality skimmer think about doin a refugium especially if your doin sps helps greatly in algae control reef need alot of water circulation good powerheads live rock averages about 5$ a pound a good starting point is 1 pound/gallon of total water live sand but is not a must

Looks like you are doing your research. Try googling reef aquarium water chmistry. There's a lot of good articles out there that discuss how each element affects the others.

When you go to buy salt- try to use reef crystals. Life will be much easier.

Try to stay away from Refugium "stuff" that goes sexual- instead stick with a macroalgae like chaeto.

Research everything before you buy it! Even coral compatibilites. There are some softies that release a defensive chemical that can kill sps corals.

Before you start buying anything- find your centerpiece livestock and build around that.

Join a local reef club- fairly inexpensive and often the best way to get cheap frags.

Most of all- let your wife pick out corals and fish- in the end you may start seeing the fish fund grow

Most of all- let your wife pick out corals and fish- in the end you may start seeing the fish fund grow

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO true its the reason I was able to start with a 75 instead of a 25. :cool: Except my wife keeps wanting poisonous or ambush predators like the sea goblin she saw last weekend.....

I wish this was true...my wife has absolutely no interest in my tanks. She'll walk by them and say "ooh pretty" and thats about it lol.

skywhitney said:
I wish this was true...my wife has absolutely no interest in my tanks. She'll walk by them and say "ooh pretty" and thats about it lol.

Hey that's at least something. My parents just see the money I spend, I don't think they even like the tank, the only thing they say is, " where's the fish?"

Back
Top Bottom