Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-05-2003, 11:58 AM   #41

Kevin, how much salt per gallon are you using? whoops, clicked submit before finishing....I believe 1.026 is how you get 410 ppm CA.

I mixed TM and I got 350 ppm CA at 1.023
Old 08-05-2003, 01:14 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

I used approximately 1/2 cup per gallon and then adjusted from there, through test and adjust

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 03:43 PM   #43

Cool, I used 1/2 cup per gal myself and stopped there... I may want to up it a bit..prolly to 2/3...
Old 08-05-2003, 09:04 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

Reefrunner, why the difference between your mag results and mine? It is a difference of about 100. I tested twice and got the same results both time. I guess I did something wrong. Ticks me off. What maker do you use to test your mag?
Old 08-05-2003, 09:15 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

I'm using a Seachem test kit for Mg, but in the grand scheme of things, the difference isn't that large, probably the difference in lots. It would be like a difference of 20 or 30 ppm CA it seems like a bunch, but that is just because of the large quantity of Mg found in seawater.

Old 08-05-2003, 09:22 PM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks again, I am starting to like this fish stuff that we do. It is becoming fun now that I am understanding what is being said. It is nice when the parameters and abbreviations start making sense.
Old 08-06-2003, 03:13 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Freak

I keep getting a 7.7 reading no matter what salt I test. TM, IO, or marine mix professional. I am using a sailfert test, but I am beginning to wonder about accuracy. I have never seen it read anything but 7.7. I am still frustrated!
"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2003, 11:26 AM   #48
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzybeas
I keep getting a 7.7 reading no matter what salt I test. TM, IO, or marine mix professional. I am using a sailfert test, but I am beginning to wonder about accuracy. I have never seen it read anything but 7.7. I am still frustrated!
Try testing some plain tap water to see if you get a different reading. Could be the test kit or some other influence. What does the tank itself read?

Cheers
Steve
Old 08-07-2003, 07:16 AM   #49
AA Team Emeritus

For anyone following this thread...I posted my Wierd science thread on another forum as well as this one, and have had some interesting info posted. The link is >>here<<, if you'd like to read it. Might put some of the IO users minds at rest. If you have any questions about the links posted, feel free to post them here and if I can't answer them (quite likely) I'll post them over there and Boomer should answer them

I have not read the links posted yet, no time this morning, but plan to this afternoon.

Old 08-07-2003, 11:29 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Freak

I will test my RO water tonight. My tank tests the same, this is why I thought it could be the test kit.

"So God created the great creatures of the sea and every living and moving thing with which the water teems...And God saw that it was good" Gen1:21
bizzybeas is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com