Frustrated!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bizzybeas

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have had my reef set up for almost three months. I just added fish this week, one bicolor blennie and a royal gramma. I also purchased a mushroom rock and a cleaner shrimp. I have a 65 gallon tank with a priszm skimmer and 65 # live rock. For the past 4 weeks I cannot get my calcium to rise above 250. I did a reference test to check and my test was right on. I started adding C balance for a couple of weeks every day which did not help. I have been adding b-ionic for the past week which has not changed the level. In both cases I added the recommended dosage. My pH is 8.0 and my dkh is 10. Any ideas?

try dosing a little more of the b-ionic than the recommended dose cause remember that it is only a recomendation. HOWEVER, don't go crazy cause a little bit can go a LONG way. start out with maybe a 1/4 of a cup more and see what it does. i know in my 65 i add a cup and a 1/2 of each, on tuesday and then again on friday. it keeps my calcium at about 480 which is where i want it to be cause i'm getting into sps.

First thing, test your make-up water for water changes. It is quite possible it has been out of balance because of that. You may find you need to adjust the CA and ALK of the new water. Second, test your Magnesium, let us know what the reading is, it should be between 1300 ppm and 1500 ppm. Once we determine the problem, fixing it won't be that difficult ;)

Following kribbz suggestion, you will need to dose more of the part 2(calcium) than the part 1(alkalinity). By dosing equal amounts of the two, you will keep your levels constant. I believe the recommended dosage is 4ml per 4gal. That suggests a dosage of about 16ml per day of each part. Try dosing 15ml of part 1 and 20 to 25 ml of part 2 each day for a week, then test your water and see where your at. Then adjust accordingly.
A cheaper alternative to to use another product like turbo calcium. Use this along with your regular B-ionic dosing to raise your calcium. After you have raised it to the desired level, quit dosing the turbo calc. and just dose the B-ionic to keep the levels stable.

Brian

Not that this has anything to do with calciu levels (i don't think) But, have you considered adding another 33 # of LR to achieve 1.5# per gallon?

If you dose the Part 2 or the turbo calk alone, you will most likely deplete your alkalinity. Both are calcium chloride.

Thank you for all of your suggestions. I really appreciate this forum! I will increase my dosage as well as test my make up water. I was scared to add more then the reccomended dose. I have a hunch that is where the problem may be. Thanks reef runner! I do not have a test kit for magnesium (I have every other one!) I will purchase one and check it out. :D

bizzybeas said:
Thanks reef runner! I do not have a test kit for magnesium (I have every other one!) I will purchase one and check it out. :D

I would actually suggest you alter none of you routine until you get the magnesium tested. It is an intricate part of the chemistry between alk/Ca and if too low, no amount of dosing will fix your problem.

Cheers
Steve

I think I may have found part of the problem. First of all, I went to my local LFS and asked for a magnesium test kit. They looked at me like I was from Mars. (it is not my favorite LFS but it is the closest) So I have not gone to the other LFS yet because it is an hour away.

Anyway, I read a post from Hara that stated pH can drop in an covered tank. I had mine covered because I was scared my kids could plop something in there. I could never get my pH to go above 8 in spite of dosing. I uncovered it and the pH went to 8.3 in a matter of 3 days. I tested my make up water (which I keep in a covered 5 gallon bucket and make it up a week ahead of time) and the pH was 8.0 . I guess I need to keep that uncovered as well. I cover it because I am worried about any thing which could go in it inadvertently. (aeresol sprays, stuff in my garage, who knows. I will also buy a couple of powerheads to keep my make up water aerated. What do you think , could this be the source of my problem?

okay, I forgot to mention that I tested my makeup water and the calcium is indeed low in it too. About 325. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bizzybeas said:
okay, I forgot to mention that I tested my makeup water and the calcium is indeed low in it too. About 325. Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So looking back, you could not get the Ca to rise above 250 ppm with a DKH of 10.

Now that your ph is looking better, has the DKH changed now that the Ca is also up? When do you think the mag test can be done?

Cheers
Steve

My dkh has risen from 9 to 10. I am using instant ocean. I am having a hard time finding the mag test.

The Mag is a little low, but shouldn't be enough to cause an imbalance. I would add some magnesium to the tank, bringing the level up to about 1500ppm or a little less, and then test and adjust your CA and ALK with Calcium Chloride and an Alk buffer like Seachem's reef builder or Kent's Super Buffer DKH.

Now I really do not get it!!! I just did my weekly 8-10 percent water change. I tested all of my levels. nitrites and nitrates are zero. Calcium is 250!!! I checked the ph with a tetra test kit and it said 8.0 The color looked a little off, so I used a spare test kit which is a sailfert and the reading is 7.7! I tested a little of my make up water, ph also 7.7 The dkh was 11. I have been dosing with B ionic daily. I have not added the mag yet, because I need to wait until I get paid. (which is thursday)

I thought maybe this is due to my water prep. I use RO water and instant ocean. I mix it up, add a powerhead and let it stir for a few days. Why would the pH be so low, and is this the cause of my low calcium? I am at a loss! :x

Interesting that you've been using IO salts. Since I started using it recently I have had the same issues. I am wondering with all the fuss of late concerning salt mixes if it has not promted some to "alter" the formula?

Did you mix the salt using a PH and bring it up to the correct temp as well?

Gonna make up a batch tomorrow and test the post mix and see what the levels are. Anyone else have the similar results?

Cheers
Steve

Yes, I mix it up with a small powerhead for several days. I do not need to heat it because I live in Phoenix, Az. I am miss anal retentive reef keeper, so I am really frustrated!! I do not get it. It may explain why I can not get my ph and calcium right. :roll: [/i]

Back
Top Bottom