Fumes near tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
This may be an odd question. I'm soon going to be setting up a 75 gal tank (just arrived at the LFS today). It is going to be located in our basement which is mostly finished, however I am still working on a couple of rooms. I have quite a bit of varnishing left to do. If I varnish in the basement will those fumes be bad for the water? What if I do all the varnishing while the tank is cycling, will the water be safe to add fish to after the cycle is complete?

To be honest, I would wait until you have finished the majority of the varnishing before setting up the tank. There is a chance that if you just had water in it and no inhabitants, you could use carbon after the fumes were gone and that could pull out the toxins, but I personally wouldn't risk it.

Patience, Patience, Patience. If you can stand to wait, I would advise it. Most warning lables on paint and varnish will have you guard against breathing in the vapors, as it will cause health problems. If it can/will affect you, and therefore has to be warned against, chances are they will affect your fish as well. Better safe than sorry, IMO.

Thanks, thats what I figured. Instead of waiting though I'll just have to varnish someplace else - maybe the garage.

Back
Top Bottom