Getting Back into the Hobby. Lighting Question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sghill

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I used to have a bunch of FW and SW tanks, but moving and a couple kids later I found my self out of a hobby. My kids are older and I have more time now. So I'd like to start up an old love.

Here's what I have.

Start with 30 Gallon Long Tank
CPR Bak Pak
Berlin Protein Skimmer (Can't Remember Model used to be on my 100gal)
Eheim Pro Canister (Can't remember Model but has 2 compartments)
150+lbs of Base rock (used to be live)

What I would like to keep.

Anemones
Polyps
Mushrooms
couple of False Perculas
Fridmani Pseudochromis
Cleaning Crew

With all that in mind I'd like to know what type of lighting would be appropriate. I have 4 - 36" Flourecent Strips T-12. From what I've read that would be 120watts of lighting, about 4 watts per gal. Is that enough to keep the stuff I have happy. My math might be wrong still doing a lot of research.

I was considering replacing the Flourecent Strips with PC strips maybe 2 96watt PC. That would get me up to 6 watts per gal.

What type of bulbs would be best for the stuff I have listed above.

50/50
Actinic

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advace.

Regards,

Stan

Your lighting great for polyps and mushrooms. Iffy for an anenome, I would get the PC's even then though I don't have any experience with anenomes to know whether that would be enough light for one. However, The PC's are always going to be a better option since they have superior water penetrating capabilities and are more intense, you will like them better too, they really make the colors in your tank pop, better still are VHO's and they are cheaper to replace the bulbs and most people seem to think MH is the best, though I have seen some truly awe inspiring T-5 setups. I would use some of that base rock and get some small pieces of REALLY nice LR to seed it.

Back
Top Bottom