Getting Started and Confused

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trabba

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, I've had several freshwater tanks over the years, most recently a 55g community that I had to tear apart a couple years ago due to a long distance move. I've never went the way of saltwater before as I've always started the research and found the information confusing and sometimes contradictory depending on the source. So my thought was this time, and I am just at the research stage, to post what I think I know and get advice as to whether I am even close or not as to what I need to get started.

So here goes, going to go with either a 55 or 75 for tank size. From what I've gathered, I will need the following for this size.

Heater
Sand (1-3")
Live Rock
Protein Skimmer
Refractometer
Canister Filter capable of at least 300gph
2-3 powerheads
Test Kit

Hook everything up, throw in the live rock, start the cycling process...once cycled, add fish. Am I missing anything or is there anything I don't need from the above? If this has already been asked and I missed the thread, feel free to just point me to that thread. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Canister filters are not commonly used in saltwater - for either of those size tanks I would definitely run a sump (I regret not setting up my 55 like that) do you want a reef or fish only? That will determine what kind of lighting you will need. I also recommend using ro-di water so add that to your list too! Cycling and stocking is different to fresh so check out some of the articles on here and use live aquaria for fish selection and compatibility. As always ask plenty of questions here before buying any equipment and be patient :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

From what I can gather, I think I am planning on a FOWLR as I was not planning on growing coral unless there is some benefit to that. I will look into sumps. Are there any good articles that are recommended. When I clicked on the article sticky in this forum, it said that it was not found. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom