Glass canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drewbie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was recently told by a friend I would have to get rid of my glass canopy as and I quote "salt water set ups need air"

Is this true?

I've heard they cause a problem with gas exchange; however, I use them on my 20 and 10, and have for quite a while, with no problems.

You'll hear arguments on both sides. On one side it helps keep the evaporation and heat contained. On the other it can screw with your PH.

Being a total cop out I have 1/3 of the length as a glass canopy (that's where my moon lights sit) and the other 2/3 toward the front as eggcrate.

I was recently told by a friend I would have to get rid of my glass canopy as and I quote "salt water set ups need air"

Is this true?

As others have mentioned, it *can* cause pH issues. But I suppose the real answer is that if you're not having any problems (pH or heat), then no... you don't need to ditch the canopy. Just be aware of the potential issues.

It's a gas exchange thing. In theory, if the glass top seals off too much of the tank, you don't get adequate O2 exchange at the surface.

I've yet to see a glass top that totally seals things off. But one that restricts things too much, coupled with poor surface agitation, could set up a situation where your pH may slowly decrease.

My top is kinda like CaptainAhabs... the front 2/3 of my tank is glass from one of those Perfecto hinged tops, but without the hinge. The back 1/3 is totally open. (I have HOB equipment.) I've never had pH issues.

I dont use a top of any kind on my tank. PH stays at 8.2 . I`ve always heard the problem that lids cause but all I can prove is my experience.

I noticed with mine on the top of my tank it would eventually catch alot of salt on it. So then the lights would not be able to shine through it as good so I just took mine off and put them under the bed for now : )

Back
Top Bottom