good or bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay its been almost a week since the set up and this is what I found today.I used Fiji Pink CaribSea Arag-Alive.I am assuming that its a hitchhiker from the sand because I used base rock and made up my own saltwater.My questions are: Is it good or bad and if its good how do I keep it alive?
Stats
My Salinity is 1.018
PH 7.8(It was 8.8 when it was set up)
Ammonia is still zero.
I am going expecting Instant Ocean salt mix and Ammonium Chloride Solution by Dr Tim's Aquatics to bring up the salinity and start the cycling.
Any help in identifying the hitch hiker and keeping it alive(if I should)would be appreciated?
One last question,How do I get the sand even?Its full of hills and valleys.
Thanks!

Attachments

• what is this.jpg
    what is this.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 116
That is very odd looking, does it move? I've never seen something like that not heard of stuff actually coming from that live sand. Weird, for te sand dunes your powerhead is probably to strong, I'd raise it up.

It just moves with the current I believe its plant life.Just not sure what kind...corolline maybe?

It just moves with the current I believe its plant life.Just not sure what kind...corolline maybe?

It's not coralline, that is hard and would not show up in a new system. Could be some type o macroalgae. Maybe put on some gloves and pull it out and look at it.

Will do.Maybe when I have more time I will try to take a better close up picture and a picture of my tank as well.

For even sand...I used a piece of PVC and also cut a piece of plastic egg crate. Between the two, I got most of my areas as smooth as I wanted them.

It looks like a stick..I used the same sand it it had a whole bunch of crap in it..( I was disappointed how dirty the sand was) little sticks..seaweed..rock..shells...I actually used a strainer and strainer all my sand of the big stuff

I used the same sand, no big pieces of anything like that but it was disappointing and dirty. My tank been set up for almost 2 full weeks and I see NO critters or anything that resembles hitchhikers at all.
I am with beginnersluck, I like the uneven sand ... I think it makes it look more realistic.

Back
Top Bottom