Grazzing vs. Feeding every 2-3 day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbailey

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi All,

I hear constant comments about only feeding every 2-3 days which is what I do, however, I have also heard that the herbivores (Tangs) should always have something to graze upon ? :confused:

At the moment I put a clip of dried sea-weed in every 2-3 days with a mix of other flakes and it's gone quite quickly (Flakes in 2-3 minutes and sea-weed in 10-15 minutes).

Would I be better having sea-weed clip in all the time (or at least refresh daily) ?

Many Tanks,
Richard B.

100G bow front :-
Regal Tang
Brown Pacific Tang
2x Clowns
Blue Spotted Bleany
Blue / Yellow Damsel
Plus a clean up crew and a load of Coral

i don't think i would add nori to the tank every day. twice a week is plenty. i do feed my tanks daily though. i alternate a few different foods.

I generally put a half sheet of nori in the tank on the days I don't feed. The tangs, foxface and CB finish it in a few hours. They then pick at the LR the rest of the time.

i heard too much nori can cause an issue with the fish though. someone help me out here....i heard a few years ago that it causes something that gives a yellowish tint to their fins...an overdose of some vitamin perhaps? anyone heard of this? i'm sorry i don't have a better memory.

Sorry Doug. I never heard of that before. If you can find a reference I would love to see it. Nori is just dried seaweed. It's part of their natural diet. Perhaps like anything, too much can be bad. I have 4 herbivores who get a half sheet every other day. They may attack it at first but then back off when their bellies get full. Once it's gone they go back to picking at the rocks, sand etc.

I`ve never heard that either. All I can do is go by 10 yrs of experience and I`ve never had that happen.

I usually feed frozen mysis and freeze dried cyclops soaked in garlic and selcon 2 to three times a week. I feed nori for the tangs 3 times a week. And i may put a pinch of formula 1 or 2, brine shrimp plus, or spirulina flakes once maybe twice a week. My tank goes sometimes 3 days without being fed at all. All the fish seem vibrant and healthy, the parameters stay in line, however i Wonder if the diet I feed them is varied enough ? But as long as the fish seem healthy I dont plan on changing up my routine.

Back
Top Bottom