Have my new 125 gallon tank, what do I need for a reef setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrguru2

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone! I have been lurking around for awhile picking up some invaluable information over the last few months and finally decided to ask a few questions that I am not finding the answers to. First off, I have a new all glass 125 gallon tank with built in overflow sitting in my living room right now while I build the stand for it. I have decided to acquire all the equipment needed before setting up the tank to limit my losses overall. So thats where I am at.
I know that I will want to set this tank up as a reef with a few fish over time. My plan when I setup is to first buy 150lbs of live rock(would this be adequate for a 125g, or should i do 200lbs?) From what i am picking up, this will serve as my filtration, do i still need a wet/dry filter if i get started with this much LR? What about a chiller, is this necessary if i can anticipate a few degrees of temp. variance in the tank, or is it something that can wait for when i get the reef creatures? As far as a protein skimmer goes, I have heard that those really tall monster ones work better than the shorter, more discreet ones- is this true and would i be better off with one? Thanks in advance for all of your advice!

Hi! Welcome to AA friend! :p

Ok, you can go with 150lbs of LR, but IMO you are better off with getting all 200lbs or more at once. If money will allow get 250lbs of LR for that size tank. This will also benefit you more biologically.

You will not need a wet/dry filter, but it would be good to set up a sump. This will allow you a place to keep your equipment, it will allow more water volume, it will help with flow on the return, and will skim the top of the water off as it falls into the overflow.

A chiller will probably not be necessary. You will have to wait and see on that, but being in Colorado you should have no problems at all.

The skimmer doesnt necessarily have to be tall, but it does need to be rated to be able to handle the type of water volume you will have.

HTH!

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:
I agree wiht the Rev, 200lbs of LR to start would be better (www.liverocks.com )
You will still need a sump or fuge since the tank is reef-ready. This will just add water colume to yoursytem and give you a place tohide your skimmer and heaters. I do not think you will need a chiller, just have to wait and see. Good luck and keep stopping by.

But if 200lbs of LR is too costly, consider getting as much as you can afford, and use dead/base rock to make up the difference. It'll become live rock, and will get encrusted with coralline. This will especially work well if you stock slowly, and do a proper fishless cycle.

I'd go with 70% base rock and 30% live rock for the tank. There's no need for it all to be pretty. In 6mo time you won't know the difference between them. I'd plan on a ASM G3 skimmer (24" tall) and a sump/fuge but no need for the wet/dry. Spend all the money you save on MH lighting.

I agree with Phyl on the LR only go a smaller amount and its alot cheaper you wont notice a difference in either one. I actually like my dry LR better for shape than my actual LR, just depends where you get it.. AquaC Urchin Pro makes good skimmers i have the same tank and love that skimmer. Definitly go with MH on the tank for lights.

Back
Top Bottom